• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a big Murakami kick right now.

My mate Taz got me 国境の南、太陽の西 (South of the Boarder, West of the Sun) in Jap for my Bday and halfway through it. Such an easy read. Read it maybe 5plus years ago so rereading it now in Jap is nice. Beautiful story.

...to magnetisim... \:D

• 2 weeks later...

Got given a book called "That's Bollocks". Seriously.

It's got urban myths, conspiracy theories and old wives tales. And more!!

It seems that indeed The Madness of King George III was not actually renamed for the American market (who might have wondered what happened to parts I and II) lol.gif

Want to know about brown M&Ms? Here you can find out ;\)

• 4 weeks later...

The Art of Bond

Highly recommended if you are a Bond fan. It's a quality hardcover full of quotes from people involved (and also people not involved) in the Bond phenom and lots of photos from the movies. Someone bought it for me for Christmas - great stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
reading Money by Martin Amis (think thats right)
pretty damn funny read sofar.
His best novel.

Also try a book called, Syrup, by Max Barry. Similar concepts and humour.
  • 2 weeks later...

i read `Night, which was a terrifying account of the Holocaust.

Right now, i`m into `Race Against Time` (Stephen Lewis) about the hunger and AIDS issues in Africa.

I`m also kinda addicted to a book called `Choke`, by the same guy that wrote Fight Club. Disturbing and funny.

Just finished Phaic Tan by the mob who wrote Molvania (a land untouched by modern dentistry).

Its' good but not quite as funny as the latter book.

Blurb;

For too long now Phaic Tan has been closed off from the outside world, a country visited each year by just a handful of hardy travellers, aid agency workers and hostage negotiators. But now, thanks to this fully up-dated Jetlag guide, everything you need to know about planning a trip to Phaic Tan, birthplace of the trouser press and irritable bowel syndrome, is here.

Almost finished 'The Years of Rice and Salt', by Kim Stanley Robinson. Excellent read.

Quote:
The Years of Rice and Salt (2002) is an alternate history novel written by science fiction author Kim Stanley Robinson, a thought experiment about a world in which neither Christianity nor the European cultures based on it achieve lasting impact on world history. It was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2003.

http://www.amazon.com/Years-Rice-Salt-Stanley-Robinson/dp/0553109200
  • 3 weeks later...

Out by Natsuko Kirino.

Such a lovely story. 4 women who work in a night shift factory. One of the women gets depressed and ends up murdering her husband, and her friends help with the chopping and disposal. The guy who gets pinned for the murder starts stalking them when he gets out of jail and killing them one by one. Not as gruesome as it sounds, honest!

My Japanese friend is reading that now actually and recommended it to me. Can't say it really appeals to me!

I haven't read anything for a few months now, just don't feel like it if that makes sense. I just need one good book to get me back into the habit.

• 2 months later...