I just finished reading "Into Thin Air" about the 1996 Mt. Everest tragedy. The author, jon krakauer, was also one of the climbers and really tells a harrowing story about what happened to his and a few other groups on their descent from the summit of Everest.

High altitude climbing sounds insane. Any of you mountaineers ever climbed above 8000 meters? This book made it sound pretty scary!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That story is almost beyond real. Quite amazing.

I kind of like the way Joe Simpson writes. Best I can tell, he started out life as an abrasive macho Sheffield wanker and ended up a reasonably thoughtful and observant person who can write a pretty good story. I quite like the way he says things.

"The Beckoning Silence" is also quite good. An nice aspect is that it there is no 'struggle, triumph, hero' story line at all.

I haven't read anything decent for ages. Looking for something for the plane ride back to the UK. Any good lightweight but interesting novels around now?

Recently Nuclear Showdown by Gordon Chang. Subtitles "North Korea takes on the World".

At the moment I've just started Mishimas Sword - Travels in Search of A Samurai Legend which seems really interesting.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently reading "The Last Generation" by Fred Pearce. It's another book on climate change but seems different to others I have read. Not just reports but analysis, very thought provoking. It makes you mad angry that more is not being done with the knowledge that we have.

The Smartest Men in the Room - the story of the fall of Enron. Interesting. One of the authors is Bethany McClain. I've read her anylist reviews for years. What a failure Enron was. Nearly unbelievable that so many smart people could screw up so big!

• 2 months later...

tried reading `The Misuse of Anti-semitism and the Abuse of History`, but instead of provoding much info on the current crisis, it was just a reply to the book `The Case for Isreal`.

The most current harry Potter was much more satifying.

And i have just started Dalliare`s `Shake Hands with the Devil`.

And when i have time, i VERY slowly try to read `Kokka no Hinkaku`, by Fujiwara.

AK77-Cloud Atllas by David Mitchel, yeah it`s an awsome book, really enjoyed reading that, awseomt he way he intertwines the different time periods. Great line in it, "Humans, someone says, have the intelligence of gods and the souls of jackals."

Oceans End- Colin Woodward, as depressing a read you can get about the future of our seas.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
The Smartest Men in the Room - the story of the fall of Enron. Interesting. One of the authors is Bethany McClain. I've read her anylist reviews for years. What a failure Enron was. Nearly unbelievable that so many smart people could screw up so big!
Then you should read : When Genius Failed: The Rise an Fall of Long Term Capital Management, by R Lowenstein.
  • 3 weeks later...

Black Swan Green - the new one by David Mitchell.

Really liking it, but I cant help feeling that it is heavily inspired by Zadie Smiths first novel (in that it is full of 80s kids language). He is an amazing writer though, how on earth could he go home and write after spending all day teaching eikawa I'd like to know.