• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Pies & Prejudice

Got to totally recommend this book, very entertaining.
If you are from northern England, you must read this.
It made me laugh out loud quite a few times.
And brought back lots of memories.
I felt rather nostalgic.

eggy thump, c'mon lads, a quick synopsis would not go a miss like.

Quote:

'My name is Stuart Maconie, and I am from the North Of England. Some time ago, I was standing in my kitchen, rustling up a Sunday brunch for some very hungover, very Northern mates who were 'down' for the weekend. One of them was helping me out and, recipe book in hand, asked "where are the sun-dried tomatoes?" "They're behind the cappuccino maker," I replied. Silence fell. We slowly met each other's gaze. We did not say anything. We did not need to. Each read the other's unspoken thought: we had become those kinds of people, the kind of people who had sun-dried tomatoes and cappuccino makers, the kind of people who did Sunday brunch. In other words: southerners.' A northerner in exile, stateless and confused, hearing rumours of Harvey Nichols in Leeds and Maseratis in Wilmslow, Stuart goes in search of The North. Delving into his own past, it is a riotously funny journey in search of where the cliches end and the truth begins. He travels from Wigan Pier to Blackpool Tower, the Bigg Market in Newcastle to the daffodil-laden Lake District in search of his own Northern Soul, encountering along the way an exotic cast of Scousers, Scallies, pie-eating Woolly-backs, topless Geordies, mad-for-it Mancs, Yorkshire nationalists and brothers in southern exile.

Just finished reading "Gang Leader for a Day", about this Sociology Student who went out into the projects of Chicago, got held captive overnight by a gang and then proceeded to hang out with them for 10 years, writing a thesis on Street economics and how the poor survive. as a follow on from that I'm now reading "Freakonomics"

This year so far:

Three Cups of Tea - Fantastic Read

Water for Elephants - quite funny

Tangerine - to use in my 8th grade class

Samurai William - prolly the best book about a foreigner living in Japan...so much better than any Clavel stuff nor anything else Ive read.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor - cant remember if I wrote this last time...

gotta meeting...will add more later.

Yeah I like Samurai William as well. Read that a few years ago at home, really interesting, his grave is in Yokosuka, not that far from where I live, I should maybe go and try and track it down

Originally Posted By: thursday
I like to feel books, hence e-books would never do.

Yeah my wife and I have built up a veritable library over the last 10 or so years together. Must be getting up near 1000 books.
Originally Posted By: stemik
anyone use Audio books? Recently Ive "read" the Courtneay novels of Africa

Bryce Courtney? I love his Australian ones, I think my favourite has gotta be Four Fires, quality yarn. Weaves together a load of charachter threads into an awesome story about a poor Irish immigrant family to rural Victoria....great!