Is it good CB? I haven't read it but obviously its a classic book, but recently when I have decided to go and read well known books deemed to be literary classics, I have come away very disappointed. Catch-22 is a case in point, I started to read it but stopped cos I hated it so much

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TB, very good. I like his style of writing, very humorous and direct. Im only bout 70-80 pages into it and it feels like its going to change once he gets home...

Id prolly find anything enjoyable after all the dry stuff Ive been reading.

• 2 months later...

Friend got my a good book to take back to Japan, called "Scousers".

Looks like I'm not in it for some reason........

51GobHdsFpL._SS500_.jpg

"Most people south of the Watford gap probably still think all Scouse men have a mop of curly hair, a thick moustache and a penchant for nicking hubcaps. Now Scousers blow this stereotype apart and celebrate everything that makes Liverpool great in a brand new book. Award-winning Merseyside journalists, writers and photographers turn the spotlight on all aspects of Liverpool life. "Scousers" highlights the famous River Mersey and its striking world heritage waterfront architecture; the city s rich sporting heritage; its humour, myths and legends; its tourist hotspots and much more. So join us to celebrate the Scousers both born and bred and honorary who have helped shape the Liverpool we know and love today, the European Capital of Culture 2008. Top Liverpool writers, photographers, artists and celebrities team up to give a real insight into the city they love. Scousers will appeal to both Liverpool residents and visitors to the city, as the spotlight falls on the city in 2008, Capital of Culture year. This easy to read, full colour book focuses on Liverpool and the characters that have shaped the city, both past and present. It is packed with images, making it an exciting addition to any bookshelf or coffee table. This book will gain national attention following its launch, through a guaranteed marketing campaign in a host of Trinity Mirror North West titles reaching more than one million readers a week, both in print and online."

Synopsis

Harry Enfield has a lot to answer for. Most people south of the Watford gap probably still think all Scouse men have a mop of curly hair, a thick moustache and a penchant for nicking hubcaps. Now "Scousers" blow this stereotype apart and celebrate everything that makes Liverpool great in a brand new book. Award-winning Merseyside journalists, writers and photographers turn the spotlight on all aspects of Liverpool life. "Scousers" highlights the famous River Mersey and its striking world heritage waterfront architecture; the city's rich sporting heritage; its humour, myths and legends; its tourist hotspots and much more. So join us to celebrate the Scousers - both born and bred and honorary - who have helped shape the Liverpool we know and love today, the European Capital of Culture 2008.

Quote:
Most people south of the Watford gap probably still think all Scouse men have a mop of curly hair, a thick moustache and a penchant for nicking hubcaps.

But.... they do don't they? wink

(What do they do with all the hubcaps anyway?)
  • 2 weeks later...

Since summer vacation started:

Teaching and Learning English Literature

Animal Farm (using it this semester for my Juniors)

The Kite Runner - I loved it. His imagery is beautiful, reminds me of Milan Kundera. Would like to read A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Glass Palace (almost finished) - quite interesting too. Spans 3 generations in Myanmar/India.

and just started The Night Runners. Once the Glass Palace is finished I wanna start Trinity. Has anybody else read Trinity? One of my dads favorites so I picked it up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinshu: Autumn Brocade

by Teru Miyamoto

almost every autumn i read this so that i remember the first sentence.

「å‰ç•¥ã€€è”µçŽ‹ã®ãƒ€ãƒªã‚¢åœ’ã‹ã‚‰ã€ãƒ‰ãƒƒã‚³æ²¼ã¸ç™»ã‚‹ã‚´ãƒ³ãƒ‰ãƒ©ãƒ»ãƒªãƒ•ãƒˆã®ä¸­ã§ã€ã¾ã•ã‹ã‚ãªãŸã¨å†ä¼šã™ã‚‹ãªã‚“ã¦ã€æœ¬å½“ã«æƒ³åƒã™ã‚‰å‡ºæ¥ãªã„ã“ã¨ã§ã—ãŸã€

"i never imagined i would run into you on mt. zao, in the gondola lift going from the dahlia garden to dokko pond"

I'm reading a lot of political things at the moment, and lots on the web about the current election campaign. I find it all fascinating especially now that Palins appeal seems to be fading, it sure will be interesting to see how that rolls out over the next few weeks.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm reading this book about a Scottish Football Player, Stewart Imlach, that played for Forest in the 50's, think its called...."My Father and other working class Football Heroes" by his son, Gary Imlach

Waiting for the Etonians: Reports from the Sickbed of Liberal England

by Nick Cohen

While I don't agree with all of what is said, it is a very interesting read. He has a lot to say.

Here's what t'blurb says

Do you remember what life was like before the crash?

When level-headed couples were still taking mortgages five times their joint income.

When the middle class was divided between the haves and the have yachts.

When Her Majesty's Government boasted that their 'light-touch regulation' of finance had abolished boom and bust, and laughed hysterically at anyone who disagreed.

By Christmas 2008, eight banks had been part-nationalised, Woolworths had disappeared, unemployment had reached nearly two million and the country's debt had hit record levels. We are now a bankrupt nation.

After the Great Crash of 2008, Americans could at least blame an incompetent right-wing government. But when the money ran out, Britain was ruled by left wingers who had grown up despising the 'funny-money' men. And yet, like the most gullible investors on Wall Street, New Labour prostrated themselves before the snake oil charmers of financial capital.

Since they came to power in 1997, Nick Cohen has been taking the pulse of what has turned out to be the longest period of left-wing government in British history. Over a decade later, he reports from the sickbed of liberal England as battered and broken voters contemplate a remarkable shift. With splendid outrage and great compassion, Waiting for the Etonians, is an account of a country that, for the first time since the end of the Empire, is considering embracing the old ruling class it has despised for decades.

I'm getting into Rachel Caines Weather Warden series at the moment. I'm really only into fantasy and sceince fiction stuff. Anything with vampires and werewolves are particular favourites at the moment. I just can't read non-fiction. I read to escape from reality not to delve into it in detail.

depends, I like to read soldier accounts of the various war's they have taken part in, a-la Bravo Two Zero. Just read another one that actually sparked my interest in the genre again, its called Sniper One, can't remember the author, he was based in Basra with the British Army