• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chamber by John Grisham

Has been around for a while & made into a movie starring Gene Hackman & Chris O'Donnell. Have not seen it but am enjoying the read

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
That sounds very high brow, tb wink

lol yes I'm branching out and expanding my reading knowledge!!
Actually very easy to read, not at all heavy. I've found myself getting mad though whilst reading it.

I have recently read The Associate by John Grisham, a very entertaining read, read it in 2 days.

Another one that was good is called The Candy Machine: How Cocaine Took Over the World by Tom Freiling. Very interesting read

and finally Andy McNab's autobiographical book Seven Troop. Its about only his time in the SAS, gives a more human side to it too, how troopers find it difficult to function in the real world when their SAS life comes to the end
Originally Posted By: thursday
yeah, they're trained to get in and out without anyone knowing. Does wonders for their sex lives I'd imagine.

thumbsup rollabout
  • 1 month later...

Just finished reading "The Monster of Florence" it's a true story by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. Serial killer investigation stuff based in Italy ...

Also "Treason" by Orson Scott Card. Amazing. It has relevance as to this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Haldeman "All my sins remembered".

"Forever War" was amazing and this one I enjoyed a lot. "Accidental Time Machine" , too.

Dan Brown "Lost Symbol" sucks. I don't like his writing style. Too short on each scenes and reads like pulp fiction. I don't like it when scenes change a lot. This one is interesting from discover Washington D.C point of view. I've been there and didn't know anything about the city so if anyone is planning to go there, would be a good read.

Now reading Alan Jacobson "The 7th Victim"

I enjoyed the Dan Brown books, but have not read Lost Symbol yet. Papa just finished it and enjoyed it.

I have two books on the go at the moment depending on my mood and concentration span.

"That was Dachau" by Stanislav Zamecnik. Heavy going at times.

and

"The Night My Bum Dropped" the gleefully exaggerated memoir of Gretel Killeen about the ravages of age and maturity. I can only handle this in small doses as although it is hysterically funny, it is too much of the same, too much of the inane. Would make an excellent bathroom book if I was not a germophobe.

not sure if a guy would find it funny...

It is about juggling motherhood and work, waking up one morning and realizing your butt has dropped, boobs have headed south and in her case there is no man in her life...

a 40+ womans read.

It's kinda like the conversations that result from sticking a group of long time girlfriends in a room with wine. Lots of wine.

The Clinton Tapes: Wrestling History with the President

Very interesting read. One of those that you just want to keep on reading.

Quote:
A GROUNDBREAKING BOOK about the modern presidency, The Clinton Tapes invites readers into private dialogue with a gifted, tormented, resilient President of the United States. Here is what President Clinton thought and felt but could not say in public.

This book rests upon a secret project, initiated by Clinton, to preserve for future historians an unfiltered record of presidential experience. During his eight years in office, between 1993 and 2001, Clinton answered questions and told stories in the White House, usually late at night. His friend Pulitzer Prize-winning author Taylor Branch recorded seventy-nine of these dialogues to compile a trove of raw information about a presidency as it happened. Clinton drew upon the diary transcripts for his memoir in 2004.

Branch recorded his own detailed recollections immediately after each session, covering not only the subjects discussed but also the look and feel of each evening with the president. The text engages Clinton from many angles. Readers hear candid stories, feel buffeting pressures, and weigh vivid descriptions of the White House settings.

Branch's firsthand narrative is confessional, unsparing, and personal. The author admits straying at times from his primary role -- to collect raw material for future historians -- because his discussions with Clinton were unpredictable and intense. What should an objective prompter say when the President of the United States seeks advice, argues facts, or lodges complaints against the press? The dynamic relationship that emerges from these interviews is both affectionate and charged, with flashes of anger and humor. President Clinton drives the history, but this story is also about friends.

The Clinton Tapes highlights major events of Clinton's two terms, including wars in Bosnia and Kosovo, the failure of health care reform, peace initiatives on three continents, the anti-deficit crusade, and titanic political struggles from Whitewater to American history's second presidential impeachment trial. Along the way, Clinton delivers colorful portraits of countless political figures and world leaders from Nelson Mandela to Pope John Paul II.

These unprecedented White House dialogues will become a staple of presidential scholarship. Branch's masterly account opens a new window on a controversial era and Bill Clinton's eventual place among our chief executives.

Got that one on order, heard a bit about it. I have a soft spot for Clinton, perhaps Bush coming after him cast a good light as well.

In the middle of getting through West Wing as well. Great tv series.