• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read SuperFreakonomics while on vacation in Hamilton Island last year. Was a great read. Recommended.

How many books do I get through in a year? Not as many as I would like - tend to read books mostly on holidays - at least 4, but I would love it to be more.

Read -

"Grammar for English Languag Teachers"

"World Englishes"

"English Phonetics and Phonology"

"How Languages are learned"

Dunno why but interesting reads there.

I go through periods where I read about a book a week and then may go months without reading anything. I can't read non fiction books at all though. Tried many times but just can't do it. Just not that interested in reading about real life stuff, I live real life and reading for me is to have an escape from it.

depends, but I hate when I don't have a book to read. So I always try and have 1 active, if its really interesting then I'll zoom through it, if its less so then I'll take longer

Originally Posted By: stemik
i get through about one audio book every 6 weeks.

An audio book doesn't qualify as "reading", surely!
Originally Posted By: thursday
But if you had an Ipad or even a kindle, you could have whole libraries with you wherever you go. Perish the thought.

They are not books.
Books have a physical connection with the pages and your fingers (a pathway to your brain)
meaning: If I want to go back to see some pages for reference, my fingers know whereabouts they are.
With e-books, unless you know the approximate page number you wouldn't have a clue.
  • 4 weeks later...

アンダーグラウンド

Underground by Haruki Murakami

i read his norwegian woods in japanese when i was in high school. i found it in my sister's room.

since then i happened to read all of his books in not japanese but english.

this time it is a japanese book.

it has been such a long time to read his book in japanese and i can't stop reading. started last night and on ze way back home tonight for about 90 mins of my train ride, 777 pages will be finished.

doesn't mean the translation was bad but it is just original is better.

Underground is his evaluation of the Sarin Gas attack on the Tokyo subway. He interviews a lot of victims and then interviews some Aum and ex-Aum members and gets their viewpoints. It was ok, not as good as I expected it to be. The victims POV was actually pretty boring (I don't mean to be blase about the fact that people got seriously injured and some died), but in the end they all pretty much said the same thing. The interviews with Aum were more interesting though

• 4 weeks later...

Started to read that a few years ago while backpacking, everyone else was, only got a few pages in and thought "what a lot of self-help, hippy mumbo-jumbo crap" and threw it into the nearest bin.