what's everybody listening to now?

You're kidding?! KEXP used to be KCMU and there was a whole bunch of controversy a couple years ago because Paul Allen gave the station a ton of money. The condtitions were that the station change their call letters (EXP is for the EMP - EXPereience Music Project, the big rock and roll museum that Allen built in Seattle). A lot of locals thought that KEXP would lose the independent flavor that KCMU had. The station instead stayed under independent management (it is actually closely affiliated with the University of Washington) and has successfully proved the worries were for nothing.

A lot of interesting stuff goes on at that station. It is certainly about music and not at all like any corporate radio station. I would be interested to read your paper when you are finished.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

geeze, and I missed that. I made a huge mistake. Them niggas know their stuffing.

its not actually on the radio station as much as it is on the lay out of their webpage. its a paper on the design of fm radio stations websites versus internet only radio stations websites.

what age group do you reckon listens to KEXP?

I'm getting into some old Bob Dylan at the moment. Oh so much music to choose from.

Saw an excellent article in a UK magazine called "Word" (good mag) about the state of the industry and music formats in the future etc - really interesting. Tried to find it online but couldn't yet, I'll take another look.

I got 2 homemade CD's in the car this week. Both Reggae mixes with old stuff from:

Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, Alpha Blondy, Lee Scratch Perry, Don Carlos, Gregory Isaacs, Wailing Souls, David Lindley, UB40, Manao Company, Bonny Rait, and Inner Cirlcle.

Goemon, I have that Alpha Blondy album. On the inside cover he lists the cities they performed during that tour in sort of a spiral of words. I was at the Hilo concert. Irie! He still had his dreads at that time at they were promoting the Masada album.

My vPod is helping me rediscover some classic albums that I haven't heard for ages. Just a few that have been rediscovered over the last few days....

League Unlimited Orchestra - Love and Dancing

Recoil - Bloodline

Martin Gore - Counterfeit

The The - Soul Mining

Veronica!! Good to hear! You are one of the few people I have come across that speaks about The Art of Noise. I am sure other people listen to them but just never mention it. I enjoy most of their music, even The Seduction of Claude Debussy, which contains some songs that some people do not enjoy.

In Visible Silence is their best I reckon.

I have recently discovered my disposition for 1980's dark/coldwave rock, like London After Midnight. This is what I listened to on the train this morning.

Cool!

Anything melodic/electronic and I usually like it! Art of Noise have done some great stuff.

Many of my fave artists bloom even more when listening closely in stereo!

Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
Anything melodic/electronic and I usually like it!
Then you would probably enjoy (or likely already do enjoy) Nightmares On Wax. Smokers Delight is a fantastic album and from it comes Pipes Honour, a fantastic song, as is Nights Interlude.