• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Started to read that a few years ago while backpacking, everyone else was, only got a few pages in and thought "what a lot of self-help, hippy mumbo-jumbo crap" and threw it into the nearest bin.

It's a great read. Self help? It's a story. A very interesting story.

Watched the 3 hours movie/miniseries for It recently.

Pretty decent until perhaps the end.

Never seen the The Stand adaptation. Any good?

Stephen King has an incredible imagination but I find his writing style to be poor. Same goes for Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs). But that's just me.

Personal preference.

I think Thomas Harris is brilliant. Stephan King goes on a little bit but in a creative way.

Can't stand Tom Clancy types and those ex-SAS writers. As bad as those shite newspapers.

Books are great when backpacking. You read it and leave it at the b'packers. You pick one up from those that left it. Good system I reckon.

John Irvine has a very eloquent writing style. His books are great but of the many that became movies, the only one I've liked is The World According to Garp. The Cider House Rules is a distant second.

That's another thing, books tht become movies are almost never as good as the book.

Anyone ever tried to read the Bible or the Koran? I tried but it's a truly boring read (no intentions to offend religious people).

Agree on that about the movies vs books. Only exception - Harrison Ford ones of the Clancy books. It's like thanks for saving my time on this crap Harry.

Actually thought about reading the Koran and the Tora.

The old testament is a good read that does make me wonder what the Jewish version is ... I really would like to read the gospel by Mary if there is one.

I like the SAS books, well interesting reads. In fact reading the early Andy McNab and Chris Ryan books about Bravo Two Zero sparked my interest in reading again after ditching books as a young teenager.

I like the spy stories as well, I really enjoyed reading the Bourne Identity and was HUGELY disappointed when the movie came out. Its very little like the book. One of my all time favourite books is Four Fires by Bryce Courtney, a book about an Irish immigrant family in Victoria Australia around the end of the 19th century and throught the start of the 20th

• 1 month later...

Been reading books at a fair rate of knots since coming off on holiday, nothing high brow, just a few pulp spy novels. Just finished reading The Naming of the Dead and Exit Music by Ian Rankin. These are the last 2 books concerning his long standing character John Rebus.

The Historian

Elizabeth Kostova

Really enjoyed it. One of those books that's full of surprise since I just picked it up and read the first page and kept going for two days. Sometimes it's good to read without reading what it's about on the back cover.