• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finnished reading the Riders. all about Aus motor cycle racing legeneds past and present.If you like motor sport its a good read.

Just got through two audio books.

Born to Run

Rambling description of ultramarathoners, a tribe in Mexico that run a lot, and running in general. Takes a while to get going, and has lots of side-tracking, hyperbole and junk-sounding science, but I ultimately liked it for its endearing, almost infectious enthusiasm.

At Home by Bill Bryson

Well-regarded history of houses and the items in them. Sweeping in its scope and has many interesting ancedotes, especially about changing social attitudes. I'd imagine this book would be very impressive if you've never read or thought about social history. About half the book is a history of stuff, which again is very good, but I personally couldn't see past its resemblence to other work, especially "Connections" by James Burke.

BM

Thats them, though the author normally refers to them as the "Tamahumara".

Curt

I listen to audiobooks when I'm doing not so high concentration work on my computer. A bit like listening to the radio, but with no danger of getting carried away, which can happen when I listen to tunes. I don't listen to them at other times. I run with an iPod, but I need lively tunes to keep me going.

If I can find an unabridged one, I think I'll have a go at "Moby Dick" next.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I like to finish what I start. It's just the way it is.

Still freakin boring.

I'm like that too, I hate starting a book and not finishing it even if it is extremely dull.....however I've made an exception to the one I got recently. The 10 Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq War

Insanely boring and it has been put down never to be picked up again

Mr. W, read the `Born to run´ on paper last year. Thought it was a eye opener. Especially about how Nike and others makes a shitload with claimed high tech shoes, and how they contribute to more injury.

Got inspired and went running after that. Liked the bit they talk about humans are more suited to run than walk, that we had been hunting animals by out running them. I´ve seen on telly the bushmen tracking animal footprints when the are on the run. Really admire that ability. It takes me ages to sus it out on the spot (Most people can´t track, even when they take a few classes). So much we have lost from modern lifestyle. I can relate to the Tamahumara ways.

I always thought that people don´t know how to stand, walk and run. (posture) Ever done transcendal-running? I´m getting better at longer distance running ever since!

Ok. books. Found some cheap second hand goodies. Several in Japanese so I won´t mention. But ...

The day after tomorrow - Allan Folsom. - very entertaining, hard to put down.

Reading:

The curious incident -Mark Haddon

The beach -Alex Garland

Unconnected to the book, but my Japanese next-door neighbour is a keen marathoner and started running barefoot this year. He's run in most of the famous city ones around the world. I only started running regularly in July this year, so I'm just a beginner. I think my lungs (fitness) are more than a problem than my shoes or my running form.

As I said, I think there is quite a bit of overstatement and cherry picking in Born to Run, but it's all very enthusiastic that makes it a fun book to read.

Barefoot is great. I prefer running on surface other than concrete and tar. We usually run in the forest. Used to be barefoot all the time in OZ. The thing that amuse me is that I´m not fitter than I was when younger, but I can keep running without my breathing being laboured, and my heart rate is constantly under 120. While I go shopping walking in the city, I often get lower back ache and have to adjust my posture.

Running is fun! While we are on the topic, one of my Japanese heros is a dude named Shigeki Tanaka, who in 1951 won the Boston marathon. But that's not all... he was the first Japanese to do so. AND... he was only 19 years old... ANDDDDD a survivor of the Hiroshima bombing! Did I mention that he ran the race in tabi? He's still alive as well! What a legend... sadly no one knows about him though!

Great! You are still a kid when it´s fun. I remember running all the time as a kid wondering why I can´t breath, and OH, I gotta stop running to breath!

I know I will feel great and can really breath when I run, but often it´s hard to get out and do it. Same goes with swimming. I can get up and go snowboarding in the morning, but ...

Never heard of Shigeki Tanaka. Wore a tabi! Ninja or ahead of his time.

Cool. I´ll see if I can find a book on him.

Here is a photo of him crossing the finish line. Check out his feet! At first it was a little controversial that he wore tabi and some people complained about it (apparently) I think you'd really appreciate his story Jynxx. He decided to run and win the Boston marathon to get back at America for bombing Hiroshima. I think his story is really inspiring actually...

baa1951_tanaka_lg.jpg

just read Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre. Its a non-fiction story about a deception that British Intelligence played on the Germans in the lead up to the Sicilly invasion. Ian Fleming is mentioned in that! smile

Pretty interesting, I like spy stories and books about the War