• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: big-will
I'm reading Adventures on the High Teas, the follow up to Pies and Prejudice

Written by a pie eater indeed.
Cider with Roadies is also worth a read.

Anyone able to recommend me a good book about World War 2?

Nothing too heavy but goes through the what happened story.

Become interested when I realised I know next to nothing.

check out books by Anthony Beevor.....I think his famous one is called "D-Day". Its a tome of a book but very interesting. There's another he wrote called "The Fall of Berlin" and tells the story a bit more truthful like....in that he concentrates on who did the most to win the War, the Soviets. Without them the war would've been lost.

Band of Brothers is also a good read, told from the US perspective, specifically the 101st Airbourne Division.

The Eagle has Landed, by Jack Higgins is a fictionalised story based upon real events. The Nazi plot to kill Churchill. A good read but of course not 100% accurate.

Operation Mincemeat is also a good read, an SOE plot to divert Nazi attention away from the Normandy beaches prior to D-Day

Singapore Burning is another great read about the inneptitude of the British Command in Malaya and how the Japanese swaggered down to the "unsackable" fortress that was war time Singapore.

"Kafka on the Beach" by Haruki Murakami. As always, crazy imagination but a great read - [spoiler alert!] - I've just reached the gory bit with the killing of the cats and Johnnie Walker!!

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
The Persimmon Tree by Bryce Courtney is a very interesting book about the japanese occupation of Java and a young Aussie's attempt to escape.

Wasn't there a movie about a similar story? Brian Brown was in it.

I'm on the third book of Stieg Larssons trilogy. A very popular best seller at the moment. I don't normally read fiction but this is very good. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here yet.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
I'm on the third book of Stieg Larssons trilogy. A very popular best seller at the moment. I don't normally read fiction but this is very good. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here yet.

I'm just about to start the 1st one but did you know that Larsson had started to write a 4th one when he died. His partner says that she might complete it as she had helped him to write some of the others.
Originally Posted By: Mantas

I mentioned it! I finished the 1st one (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) last week and this book makes one really greedy for more pages. Took me just 4 days or so. Really eager to start #2....

Just out of interest, when do you readers get to read?

Recently I just don't seem to find any time.

I read more than I used to on the internet (news etc) and my eyes feel like taking a rest in the evenings.