• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Finished reading The God Delusion and has categorically strengthened my position as an atheist and the abuse kids are put through by their parents when it comes to religion.

The age old tenets from the Bible, aka the best fairy tale ever created, and how much they are blown out of the water by scientific evidence, even in daily life, just made me laugh that there are people who are indoctrinated with false ideas.

Absolutely. The hate in this world is from religion. If there was a way to let them got at it without affecting the rest of the world, then all the better. I'd put all the muslims, jews, christians, seekhs, and all other religious groups into the arena and have a great afternoon.

Lions vs Christians then? wink

I've read a good few of Baldacci's books, they are all pretty much the same. Exactly what you say Pete, good for whiling away time on an airplane or having a relaxing read at the beach. Fun n easy but nothing that's gonna grab you or make you think. Think the best one I read of his was called Last Man Standing

I really like Ian Rankin books, Michael Connolly ones aren't too bad for fun reads.

Originally Posted By: loaf of bread
Just finished a few Ian Rankin they were ok.
On the lookout for something new now. Feeling ready for "something serious".

The Jack Welch (ex head of GE) bio isnt a bad insight into a 80s style manager. A few lessons worth picking up.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Baldacci book, "The Collectors" was rubbish and he was that lazy he didn't even finish one of the story threads. PASS.

Finished the 1st of the Stieg Larsson trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Was a HUGE improvement on the Baldacci books and Im looking forward to getting into the next one in the series next month. Well worth grabbing if you like a mystery/drama without the usual formulaic characters.

I'd been looking for Shantaram for ages without any luck as I'd not heard anyone talk badly about it. To my surprise the crew I stayed with in Perth bought it for me a pressie. Its HARD to put down even though its a little overly descriptive in small parts. I was going to try and save it for my travels next month but fear it will be finished by then.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.

Pick it up - do yourself a favour. Best book I have read this year, possibly in several.

For some reason, I don't seem to enjoy his books. Have read Norwegian wood, after the quake, and underground (thought I would give him a try) and feel numb afterwards.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.

Pick it up - do yourself a favour. Best book I have read this year, possibly in several.

For some reason, I don't seem to enjoy his books. Have read Norwegian wood, after the quake, and underground (thought I would give him a try) and feel numb afterwards.

Yeah it was an odd book, my friend is reading it now and she txt me today saying WTF is this about. I haven't read his others though and now am not tempted to as would hate for the lustre to wear off smile