• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The badmigraine take on mp3 players, including the iPod:

A lot of people have no interest in portable music.

Gadgets and gewgaws are nice and I like toys as well as the next man, but I would never use one of these devices. I just never have occasion to listen to music that I already own over tiny ear bud phones while walking around noisy streets, riding trains, working out, or sitting in waiting rooms. If I have idle time, I read a book. No book? I send obscene and juvenile cell phone messages to Mogski and my crew in Walled Lake, MI.

In my Stuff drawer, lying dusty and unused, there is a superslim walkman, a portable CD player, and--until I gave it away--a portable MD player won at a wedding raffle. It used to puzzle me why I never used these expensive items when they were the best thing you could get, and everybody was clamoring to have one...then I figured it out...I was a stooge of marketing and consumeristic craze mentality.

The iPod. A clever expensive toy. If I win one at a wedding raffle, I'll post here to give it away.

\:D

I hate ear buds too. I don't use them. When I'm portable I use headphones. Noise cancelling ones are great for trains and planes. When I'm at home I listen thru my studio monitors. When I'm renting a car in Oz (don't have a car in J-land), I plug it into one of those cassette thingies that you throw in the car cassette deck, that has a mini stereo connection for external walkmen, or, if there's no cassette deck (getting rarer these days) next time I'll use an iTrip. In Japan I'm on the train a LOT, and it makes the journey much better for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest for FM/car people:

Griffin debuts all-in-one iPod device

August 12 - 18:09 EDT   Griffin Technology today announced the RoadTrip, an all-in-one iPod charger, FM transmitter, and cradle in one compact unit. The Griffin RoadTrip allows you to play your iPod or iPod mini's music through your car's FM stereo, while simultaneously charging and positioning the unit for easy access. The RoadTrip also features a detachable Transmitter Module and cable that can broadcast users' Mac or PC music to any FM stereo. The new Griffin RoadTrip retails for US$79.99 and will begin shipping on September 1.

My Apple brand in-ear head phones have died. First one ear went quiet and then the other. It happened slow enough that I didn't realise how quiet my dbPod had become. They were a let down, lasted only a few months.

I have since bought the Sony in-ear things and they are much better. But damn it was a hassle getting white ones in the UK from the internet. And when they arrived they were in Japanese packaging!

badmigraine - thats very interesting. I'm no stooge though. And I love my portable music, it has given me so much pleasure and will continue to do so. Brilliant! as you might say.

Badmigs, you forgot the "bah...humbug" at the end ya big stooge. If you travel on trains as much as I do then an iPod saves your sanity, it is as simple as that. I do love a good book though!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an ipod question, not sure whether to open a new thread or keep it here. Anyway here goes.

I like to shuffle my complete song collection (all 5000 or so songs). If I don't use vPod for more than a day or so though, whenever I switch it on again it has reset - ie. if on Monday I got up to song 30 out of 5000, and I don't use it until Wednesday or later, that goes back to 1 of 5000. Is there anyway that anyone knows to have it so that it doesn't reset?

Thanks

Ummmm miss vpod, why would it matter if it has reset anyway? The songs are randomised so with 5000 songs the chances of you on wednesday getting the same songs you had already listened to on Monday would be pretty slim ne? confused.gif Know wot I mean?

That list will reset everytime you plug it into the charger, and maybe each time you plug it into your computer. I don't know a way to stop it doing that. Maybe you could yell at it really loud and threaten it with a good spanking? ;\)

Perhaps V is from the Piraha tribe.

for her benefit:

each song has a 1/5000 probability of being played when only playing one song on random setting. If she listened to 30 songs, then 'reset' and those 30 went back into the random mix she has a 30/5000 chance of hearing one of those 30 again. All of this is gobble though as what V does not realise is that on random setting, once a song is played it is not dropped off the list. If it were then the remaining songs would not a have a purely random chance of being played. For example: after hearing 4999 of 5000 songs on random setting with no repeats, the probability of playing the one song that has not been played is NOT 1/1, it is 1/5000. That is to say, **** all. Even of more **** all chance is randomly playing 4999 songs out of 5000 without one of them repeating.

V, when you roll a die it is random event. After rolling a 6 you have just as much chance of rolling another 6. The 6 does not suddenly vanish from the cube ;\)

What's more, perhaps V should ask herself why she would not use her vPod for "more than a day or so". I swear my godPod has been on every day since I bought it.

V, you are American hey? Are you from the deep south? ;\) ;\)

vron, pay no heed to db and Dims, they've got that Australian cruel streak as we all know.

Actually there are two ways to make absolutely sure you don't have to hear the same goddamn track again in two days (I feel your pain).

The first is to delete each track after you listen to it. This ensures the more intuitive randomness that our boys are sneering at (and we all love Apple products for their intuitiveness.) The second is to say the magic words "Alumba-mahumba-adjoram-kalah!" when you press the Reset button. That would do it too.

Yes yes yes I know about the probabilities and stuff etc etc... I'm not stupid you know!! I should have known I was going to get it for that.

I am just curious about it, thats all, and interested in details.

\:\(

You guys are funny though \:D I like that.

fukdane, the most I have got out of mine - constantplay, switching cds as little as possible - is about 7 hours. 6 hours and its down there near empty for the most part.

With the battery back, I got about 15 hours from mine.

I got a mini basePod for my birthday, blue one. Very small. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and I got about 7 and a half of continuous play out of it on the plane. Nice machine (especially when someone gives it to you)

• 2 weeks later...