• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3115345.stm

UK bans iPod gadget

A gadget that lets you send songs from Apple's iPod music player to an FM radio has fallen foul of UK laws.

A M Micro, the UK distributor of Griffin Technology which makes the iTrip, said use of the device was prohibited under the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949.

The act forbids the use of radio equipment without a licence or an exemption.

The iTrip transmits at very low power on an FM frequency and so in theory could interfere with broadcasts from a radio station.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by blinkin'ek:
I get the impression that some ipodgeeks just go out and buy the new one just to have the latest. - no wonder they're doing well.
I hate to break it to you mate but you could apply your theory to just about any kind of thing from electronics, cars, houses... the list goes on!

I have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that usually fit into airplane jacks. It has an attachment in the case of a dual input. Makes such a difference, as you say. You can actually hear what's being said.

This weeks new ipod

The iPod Photo (40GB, $499 and 60GB, $599) is Apple's new top-of-class iPod hardware, holding up to 25,000 digital photos and featuring 15 hours of Music Playback or 5 hours of Slideshow playback. The same general physical size as current iPods, but with a color screen, the iPod Photo now syncs with iTunes 4.7 for music (released today) and iPhoto for pictures. It features a dock with Audio and Video out, a 1.4m AV cable, and a black carrying case. It ships today.

The U2 iPod, also called the iPod U2 Special Edition ($349) is a 20GB black and red iPod with the engraved signatures of U2's band members Bono, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton and The Edge on the back. Available in three weeks, the new iPod will not include U2 music as widely rumored, but will include a $50 voucher for purchase of a new Apple "Digital Box Set" called "The Complete U2" with over 400 U2 tracks, including all of U2's albums and a collection of rare and unreleased tracks. The Complete U2 will sell for $149.

No real benefit. Why pay more money just to carry your pictures around on a 2 inch screen. Not worth it at all. I could carry my pics on a camera phone, but I never looked at them. However the benefit is that you now get a coloured screen. It is a minor improvement and a weak attempt to up-scale the functionality without really offering much at all. They should focus on mixing an iPod with a PDA (vaguely useful) or a mobile phone (more useful) or a camera (most useful). Until then an iPod should just be a music player and let all other ugly brands mutate into crappy half-useful hybrids that sing about CD quality play back.... blah.

The all black U2 model looks ok.... minus the red scroll wheel.