I posted this in another thread but got no responses. Anyone had any personal experience? Maybe with another high capacity mp3 player?

Sunrise and anyone else with an iPod - I have been seriously considering buying the 20GB model. Any experiences you can share (with any model)? How is the interface? Can you play whole directories? Randomize multiple directories? Play playlist (.m3u?) files?

Did anyone buy theirs in Japan? Is the interface in Japanese (ie is the Japanese model different than the American model?)?

Most importantly, how tough is it? Does it feel fragile? Ever skip? Ever dropped it? Would you take it boarding?

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good solid little thing. Got the 10 GB, quite big enough, still not filled it up yet. Interface v. easy, esp. with a mac.

No, it can't skip. Got a buffer, 15 minutes I think.

No probs buying in Japan. All English options available.

Well I had a minidisc player that didn't skip because of the buffer...but it did break.

Do you take yours boarding Miteyak? What's the battery life like? Can you set up playlists on the fly (as in not connected to a computer?)

Imagine it's a lot stronger than MDs. It's small, but very weighty, it's a solid block, no real moving parts, never boarded with it though, so dont take my word.

Battery life meant to be 10 hours, can charge it in the car. (and of course play it through the car stereo at the same time.) Def. less in the cold.

It's a slave, so you need a computer to add/subtract, but you can mess with the play order etc on the fly.

It's a pricey toy, but just think, all you need at home with oner of these is an amp and speakers. Store all yer music on the computer and all you have to decide is which 100 albums you might be wanting on the weekend.. (a hard choice, I know).

I invested in the 10GB just before our trip. A great investment. They are great players. Good quality sound.

Miteyak sums it up pretty well. The buffer is actually 20 mins though. Dont think you'd need that long though!!

Sam purchased a 20 GB model while we were in Japan - no probs at all. At start up it asks you what language you want it in, No differences btw the models that we have noticed yet. I've got iPod evny though! \:D

Take a look at the Apple website for a great list of specs.

Haven't taking it boarding either though.

amandanism they cost AUD$ 645 for the 5g one AUD$845 for the 10g one and AUD$1045 for the 20g one. the 5g is standard price everywhere i dont think you can get it cheaper that bout 600$ (converted) but the 20g one i bout was 59500Y i think...! it was 59somthing 59000Y maybe!? short term memory!

anyways on the topic of pods anyone out there who has one can u please poke me in the direction of downloads, apprently you cna download games for the ipod, i havent managed to find any yet... a little help if anyone knowS?! ta dudes!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, Ender, only just saw this post.

Yes, get one if you haven't already!

You can play playlists, albums, etc etc.... as of yet no randomising, maybe in later update. I can't live without it cos I'm always travelling on public transport. Apart from being able to put so much music on it, sound quality is just so much better than MDs. I hardly ever use MD anymore unless I have to.

I heard the battery doesn't like the cold so I don't know what it's like on the slopes, maybe battery runs down quicker?

However, since Apple and Burton released a special limited iPod jacket last Jan at the MacWorld, I assume Steve Jobs is saying it's okay to go riding with one.

Some things to note with battery - don't charge it all the way down it likes to constantly be topped up. Also you'll save on battery life if you switch off rather than than pause (thus sleep) the iPod. I have some other users info on getting the most out of your battery that I gleaned, if you want it let me know I'll email it. One thing to note is that if you want long battery time you should try and keep your files down to 28 megs or under per song. I like to covert at higher bit rates so I never get as much battery time....

I wish they'd bring out a recording iPod. It would be so great for reherasals, etc.

I have the 5 gig model. The 10 gig is a little thinner than that 5 and 20 gig.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Now if I could just get to Tokyo one of these days...
I was going to warn you to stay out of my town.
If you do come thru, give us a yell. I need a network techie to get my cross OS file sharing working properly \:\)

You don't need to - you can buy them mail order over the net - try somewhere like Bic Camera or Sofmap. Failing that, I'd be willing to get one for you and send it to you COD if you trust me with the money....

Well it is an excuse for me to go to Tokyo. I have been here a month and a half and I haven't left Nagano yet. It was Tokyo that made me want to come to Japan in the first place. But thanks Sunrise.

Yeah db. I think it's gonna be the last weekend of the month. We should hook up. What's up with your network? (ohhh how this is gonna cost you)

s_f - I'm getting the 20GB. I have a huge digital music collection so I'll have to be picky abot what I put on it.

hey ender, I live in a suburb called Seijo, Odakyu line, 15 minutes west of Shinjuku. In tokyo terms it is not that far out, but in terms of where most expat types live and what they like close at hand, it is considered very far out.

Seijo, not a bad neck of the woods.... I used to live on the Odakyu line, closer in.

I'm in Itabashi-ku. Not far enough out to enjoy the feeling of 'country' and not close enough in to be able to get anywhere as quick as I'd like.

I'm often in town, though, which is probably the best place to hook up.

The only thing that I didn't like about the Ipods is that you can't transfer from ipod to Computer..only computer - ipod! This was a major bummer as my friends and I thought that we would be able to swap heaps of music via this way. Apparently there is software that allows you to do this. Anyone know about it?

also the cheapest place in japan to buy electronics is at this website. They have a list of shops (mostly tokyo) from around japan with the prices updated each day.

By using this site i saved 100,000 yen on my powerbook! and they deliver of course! but its all Japanese...

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
T
also the cheapest place in japan to buy electronics is at this website
Care to run that website by us again?

PS - you can copy iPod to Mac, don't know about PC. Easiest to do in OSX.