Indo - i find that annoying too. But there is a way around it. All you need to do is make sure that you can "see" invisible files. Then all you need to do is find the tracks you want and pull them straight off the iPod. It's the best of methods, but it does work and it's the only way to do it that i know off.

As with other data, it is simply a matter of drag and drop. Sam and I have been using our iPods to transfer photos and programs. It's very very quick and easy too.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I have also been looking into hard-drive mp3 players recently...

there are a few points that are really bugging...

iPod has nailed the market in terms of design and user interface...and they make you pay for it...

but I have heard that once the ipod battery is caput, you are stuck with a $300 paper weight...it is good for maybe 1000charges (estimated 2 years use)...I think apple has a trade in feature, which gives you a $50 discount off a new one when the old one dies, but that is still excessive...

the only other player I have seen that rivals the ipod is the Nomad Zen (cheaper, but a little bigger...really nice features too, like on-the-fly playlists), but it also has the same battery problem..

anybody reach the end of their ipod life yet?? I guess not since they are soo new still...what do you think hd mp3 players will be like within the next 2 years?? you think the $300-400 or so bucks is worth only a 2year investment??

just curious...

danz

danz - all you have to do is look at the new iPod's that have been released to see what they will be like in the future. They will be smaller and have bigger storage capacities.

I haven't heard anything about the battery life. Bugger. Mine is only about 8 months old or so - no problems yet. It is good of Apple to offer the trade in, but it does leave you out of pocket $50, but then you'd get one of the new ones. \:D

hey snowfreak...

actually...its just a $50 coupon...so you get $50 off the retail price of a new ipod...that is what could get pricey...

but you are right...the new ipods are sexy! \:D

danz

Hey Danz,

I'm not sure about the new iPods, but some of the older ones (perhaps mainly the first generation?) had problems with battery life. I used to have a 5 gig model and I was getting only about 3 hours max, but you really need to keep topping them up and not running them all the way down as much as possible and they should last ages. I think mine had been run down all the way a number of times and that somehow affected the battery life. The later iPod software updates have improved the battery life, and there's a way of resetting that is supposed to help also for some. And it's also advised to turn it off rather than just pause it and let it turn itself into sleep mode which uses more battery.

Anyway, if you buy a new one you may not ever have that problem. I'm sure Apple have been working on it as it had been a major complaint, though I haven't researced any feedback on that with the new models. Sounds like SF isn't having any problems...

As for the investment for a long period of time, I can't say, I had the 5 gig for almost a year though the unit itself is older than that - since it's 1G it's probably around 18 months old. I sold it and bought a new 15 gig a few days ago (and absolutely love it!) and it's highly likely I'll upgrade again to some future generation of bigger HD and smaller sized models before the battery life of my new one dies. But then I prefer smaller/lighter (and higher capacity) models for my needs. My old 5 gig now seems like a brick compared to the new one. That might not be as important to you, so you might keep yours longer. I haven't tested the battery life on the new one yet as I've been topping it up, but I will check it out. However, if it doesn't give me the purported 9 or so hours at any time during the warranty period I'll simply take it back. I wasn't able to do that with my old one as I'd bought it used just out of warranty, however the battery was never very longlife on it. I didn't notice it getting any worse from when I first got it. It wasn't until later that I found out people were returning them under warranty and apple were exchanging them, so they were obviously aware of a problem and were replacing them with (probably?) untroubled replacements.

It's become an important item in my life. I use it all the time - totally recommended. If you don't want to splash out that much cash you can always consider getting a refurbished older model - with enough warranty for to take it back if the battery doesn't give you enough time from the word go..... in which case I'd recommend a 2G model, however with the price you probably pay for a used one of those you might be better off getting a new one instead.

Stop Press: Just happened to see this:

On the main page of ipodhack.com

DASmart iPod Battery Replacement

posted by blakespot on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 09:10 AM EDT

You have seen us speak, on several occasions, of the plight of the deminishing capacity of the iPod's lithium-polymer battery, over time. My old trusty 5GB iPod, just over a year and a half old, had gotten to the point of lasting less than two hours on a full charge. Maddening. Well, I have just given my trusty friend a new lease on life.

We had the chance, over the weekend, to check out PDASmart's Replacement Internal Battery Kit. The kit consists of a replacement battery (3.7v, 1500mAh) designed to work with the "classic" iPod (not the new, slim units), a set of plastic (importantly, not metal) tools with which to pop open the iPod, and a clear instructional guide. Working the upgrade was a piece of cake.

Using the plastic tools provided, I was able to pop open the iPod in about a minute, without any marring to the iPod itself. Once open, it was a matter of removing the old battery and simply replacing it with the new. Much more straightforward than I had pictured. Once in place, the iPod came alive (the battery happened to have a bit of charge to it as shipped), I popped the metal shell back in place, and plugged it in for a full charge. So far I've used it for most of a work-day in the office and it's still at 4-ticks on the battery meter. Good as new. Wow - what a difference!

At $59.00, it's an economical way to tell your iPod, "don't go into the light!" Head over to PDASmart's product page and check it out. For $9 more you can mail in your 'Pod and have them do the install and ship it back the same business day, for the faint of heart.

-------------

Finally...iPod Battery Replacement

posted by blakespot on Tuesday, April 15, 2003 - 09:08 AM EDT

I've been suffering mightily with my iPod's greatly deminished battery life, resulting from 16 months of heavy use--and I know I'm not alone. Well finally there's a solution. A replacement iPod battery for $49.00 which works with all models of the iPod. I'll be putting my order in straight away.

• 8 months later...

Hi there

I'm thinking about this now too. And here's my question. It may sound silly, but I'm new to this so be kind!

How do I get all my music? I have tons of CDs, so can I easily get them on the ipod?? How is that done?

Cheers

ver

Thanks.

Just a few other questions I don't seem to be able to get clear recommendations on if you don't mind \:\)

1) Do you use the ipod earphones, or recommend others as better?

2) What is the best software to convert cds to mp3

3) Whats the best setting for the best sound when converting to mp3?

I'll buy you a beer if you answer \:\)

Ver,

1) I don't use the iPod earphones as i have my right tragus pierced so they dont really go in properly. I can get them in if needs be but i prefer my other ones. When i first got my pod i used to the earphones to see what they were like and from memory they are pretty decent. You can definately get better, if you are willing to pay for it of course!

2) Software - i use good ol' iTunes on my Mac. You can set it up so that it converts the files to MP3 format. Not sure what you would use on a PC though. Anybody?

3) Settings - i think it depends on the type of music you listen to. iTunes is handy as it has a bunch of settings that you can play around with. It also has categories for certain music with preset settings.

Hope that helps a bit.

\:\)

That looks nice with the blood and the rotten bits...

MusicMatch Jukebox is a well-reviewed PC ripper. I use it for listening to MP3s although I haven't done any ripping or burning with it.

The battery is covered under warranty. You can also take out

applecare for the iPod, which gives you an extra year warranty. Alternatively you can purchase 3rd party batteries online for around $50.

I'm still upset that they don't record in good quality stereo (what's this 8bit mono crap with the new 3rd party mics you can get...).

Haven't forgotten the iRiver, but I'm still hoping Apple get on the case with it and bring something out to compete with iRiver this year. (probably fruitless hope...) \:\(

I've posted this before on another thread but I have had my iPod for about 8 months and was a heavy user, all day every day. Let my battery run flat a few times but nothing drastic. Since the last iPod software update (late Dec?) my ipod's battery is screwed, basically giving me less then three hours joy. When this starting happening I had owned it for about 6 months. Glad to hear this problem should be covered under warranty, just have to find some time to get to Bic Camera and try to get it fixed. So please be careful not to let your battery run completely flat. Maybe that was the problem with mine but it seemed suspicious that the problems occured so soon after the software update. Any clues from anyone?