Thats what Im waiting for!! 60GB sounds pretty nice. Maybe they could just include every song ever and send it to me like that?! I didnt have a Mac too so I had to wait for them to work with Windows. What does the 60 go for? 10Man?

I should reread this thread to see what was said about other alternatives... Im actually getting done with my MD player. Its lasted a loooong time, it was that Sony model that first had MDLP on it and its been terrific, but hauling MDs around everywhere is a pain in the arse.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad wanted to get a hold of my music collection so I was going to buy him an iPod. The best discount I could find on iPods was $20 on ebay, making a 40GB $480 before s&h. I did a little research and ended up buying him a 40GB Creative Nomad Zen for $250 (retail). It looks kinda like this:

zen.jpg

It is a bit bigger than the iPod, fits better in the back pocket than front, and the menu system isn't quite as intuitive. But the battery is removable, which is a nice bonus, and I liked the software. Considering it does the same thing as an iPod at 1/2 the price I have to recommend it.

OK if all of these things are basically just a hdd ..... does the sound quality differ at all or do they all sound pretty much the same?? Is the mirror on the back of the ipod worth the extra? \:D

The mirror is an essential part. \:\)

I haven't compared, but some of my more recent remastered cds I've put on the pod sound amazing with these new earphones I have. clap.gif

nice choice podgirl! (should be your handle)

I hear those SONY insert rock. Can you give me a little review, price, model no., do they stay in yours ears when running etc.....

Thanks darls

I hear quite a few people in the UK buy non-iPod type earphones so that thugs don’t identify the iPod and go in for a mugging. Some truth in this as I do look around and see who has iPod ear phones. If I see them I know that they have a compact $400 or so in their pocket.

I know I'm answering to myself here (!) but a friend got one of these last week. Says it seems to work well - getting about 15 hours from his pPod (his name's Phil). Makes it a bit bulky but if you want 15 hours from your pod....

Official prices in Japan are

15GB - 33,390 yen

20GB - 44,940 yen

40GB - 54,440 yen

You can get them cheaper than that though at rakuten etc.

Seen this?

--

New Sony Walkman to Rival Apple Player

MAY WONG

Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. - The iPod may finally have a serious competitor. The company that brought us the Walkman is entering the hard disk music player arena now dominated by its trendsetting-rival Apple Computer Inc.

Sony Corp. plans to unveil Thursday its newest Walkman, a palm-sized, aluminum-encased player that can store up to 13,000 songs on its 20-gigabyte, 1.8-inch hard drive, and promises 30 hours of playback on a rechargeable battery.

Weighing 3.8 ounces, the new Sony NW-HD1 is smaller and lighter than the iPod's 15-, 20- and 40-gigabyte models, and just slightly larger than the 4-gigabyte iPod Mini. Sony claims the portable player is the smallest of its class.

The product will be available in mid-August for less than $400, Sony said.

Then the face-off will begin.

"I'd call it an iPod challenger, and one that will keep Apple on its toes," said Richard Doherty, an industry analyst with The Envisioneering Group.

Apple was not the first to introduce a high-capacity hard-disk portable music player, but its October 2001 launch of the iPod defined the market. The product's runaway success - with an estimated 3 million units sold - has since drawn other rivals, including Dell and Samsung.

Still, Apple leads with about a 60 percent share of the hard-disk drive player segment in the United States, and about 30 percent of all portable music players, according to Michael Goodman, an analyst at The Yankee Group market research firm.

Sony's sleek new Walkman is a highly-anticipated and belated entry but will likely be Apple's fiercest competitor yet, Doherty predicts.

"These are two aging entrepreneurs who are incredibly well-driven internally to exceed what they did just the month before," he said. "It'll be great to finally have these two in the same playing field."

Of course, portable music isn't new to Sony. It pioneered the category when it introduced the original Walkman in 1979.

But in the past few years, analysts say Sony lost some of its luster as it aggressively pushed mini disc-based music players, and sales - except for Japan - fell short of expectations.

"Apple's iPod came out, and it was so successful, it really forced Sony's hand," Goodman said.