Wow Slow - you are reading Ishmael? How did you come across that book? It was very interesting when I read it years ago. Anyone else read that sucker? There is a sequel called My Ishmael too I think.

I gave up on Gaijin after 400 pages. I am so sick of Clavell's redundant literary devices and it really bothered me the way there was no real central character.

I am reading Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson now...but at the rate I am goin I will be done around 2013.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been reading novels for a long time now. I seem to be too busy, but I used to read lots of books.

Someone recently loaned me biographies on Sting and Madonna to read. They were both interesting reads, though of course you have to take them with a grain of salt, as there are bound to be inaccuracies in them, being unauthorized.

Current train reading is The Millionaire Next Door and Time Management from the Inside Out (I'm hopelessly unorganised!) and Recording Magazine (subscription)

And lots of stuff on the net - such as non-mainstream news sites, a really cool art site/forum called wetcanvas.com, various Mac/computer related sites and forums, and music equipment/software sites and forums, and lately I've been reading and finding out quite a lot about the growth of the online indie music scene, and how online music and the internet is totally changing the face of the music scene and helping good music be heard again. Indie music is flourishing and so are indie sites. Apple's iTunes music store is on the verge of selling Indie Music, alongside all the majors. It's all being in the process of being set up at the moment and this should be a boon for the Indies. Things are looking very interesting on that front. Other competing online music stores are set to open and iTunes will be available for Windows probably in the fall. The internet has really been great for music - allowing new life to be breathed into the industry. And it will only get better..... There are also predictions that RIAAs lawsuits will backfire on them. I hope so.

Today on the net I was reading about Pilates exercise. It looks really interesting and there's a place in Tokyo doing it so I'm going to try some classes.

Quote:
How did you come across that book?
Ishmael was Ryuichi Sakamoto's favorite. He told about this book in a magazine. But it was already out of print and I've almost given up!
I think this is very interesting book but translation isn't good. I'll get a better understanding by English edition.
I think somebody else translate this book again, could be more popular in Japan.
How about this idea ,Ocean?

Confessions of a Dangerous mind. the autobiography of Chuck Barris.he's some famous US talk show host/game show host guy who was really a CIA agent travelling the world killing people in the US best interest. interesting read

Video night in Kathmandu by Pico Iyer - about the impact of toursim in asia.

The naked and the dead by Norman Mailer - a novel about the pacific war.

just bumping this thread back up to the top with what I've been reading lately. Interesting to see what people are reading - giving me ideas on what to read next. = )

Am i like the only person who reads 2 books at the same time??? confused.gif

i got on the go

keith delvin - language of mathematics

nazli choucri - global accord

gerry bates - environmental law in austaralia

they are all really good. the first and last more readable than the middle.

I have seen it. It is very good. Richard Chamberlain as Pilot Major Blackthorne and Toshirou Mifune as Toranaga-sama. Not to mention the breathtaking Youko Shimada as Mariko. It was the first mini-series ever. Such a great book deserved 9 hours.

I have taken a break from my usual academic and try hard epistemology kind of books and am trying, yet again, to read and understand a little of Interzone, a parrallel universe in The Naked Lunch , by everyones favourite now dead but formerly overt homosexual opium addict, William Burroughs.

db - Have you read A New Kind of Science by Stephen Wolfram?? I read a bit about his book in a wired article a few months back, and it seems like it would fit in well with the kind of books you said you've been reading...

here's a link to the wired article which is worth a read in and of itself: The Man Who Cracked the Code to Everything...

i've only heard bad things about that book. wolfram is undoubtedly an amazing guy (his program mathematica has been invaluable to many working with maths), but this long book is said to be little more than blatant self glorification. he is now somewhat removed from the scientific community, running his own institute based around mathematica. i'm sure his work is very revolutionary, but he definitely isnt running the show. (that article looks a little like the propoganda u get thru the wolfram research site)

His topic is of interest to me. There have been plenty of other really interesting books that look at a similar area. complexity by mitchell waldrop is very good. ian stewart writes about choas (closely related to complexity) in does god play dice? Kauffman's investigation is an interesting read. and brian goodwin writes very good books about biology and complexity (see signs of life). and there are some more technical books on complex adaptive systmes. also more biological capra's web of life, and lovelock's gaia theory books. these books may lead u to look into networks where linked by barabasi and six dergrees by aussie, duncan watts, offer new and interesting insights into this new science.

i also have hidden order by john holland, but havent started it yet.

Apparently Wolfram is quite a controversial character in academia, and the reviews of his book range from accusations of plagiarism, to claims of sheer genius. The wired article about him and his book is, in true wired fashion, a bit propagandized, but worth a read. What seemed most interesting though, is Wolfram's attempt to use complexity, and cellular automata to explain every kind of science and phenomenon in the universe.

mmmm, chris langton was also working on cellular automata by the mid 80's... the results are indeed quite amazing, and there is surely something to be foumd in them to explain complex phenomonen, but the answer to everything seems a bit bold. but thats wolframs character...