• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LiquidX, I'm a happy little piggy in a wallow stall. I now have access to a real library!

Having been 100s of miles from English language bookshops and libraries for the last 7 years or more, I'm now 10 minutes by bike away from a Kinokunia and the Matsuyama Community Center library which has several large shelves of English books. The selection is a bit unbalanced, but I have no complaints.

The Krushchev book was excellent btw.

Investment Biker by Jim Roger. Not particularly well written but interesting story of a guy (an investment banker) who travelled the globe (Ireland to Japan crossing Europe, Siberia and China and back, down Africa, over to Australia, then South America and back to the US) on his bike accompanied by his young girl friend.

I am just finishing up "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Has anyone read this or any of his other books? It is a thrilling novel that takes place both in our modern communications society and during WWII. Some interesting views of Japan and the rest of the world at that time in history. It is quite a tome though at 1100+ pages.

enderzero,

good book eh? maybe after the Dec. test Ill be able to enjoy something other than the Touyou keizai mags. Maybe that pottery stuff Oceans translating would be more interesting \:D That or something about self help would be good too. I can just never find that section at the bookstore and when I ask the person at Kinokuniya for the location, she says telling me would defeat the purpose?? \:\(

• 2 months later...

I've just found out I'm going on a trip to Europe in early Feb, so gonna hit Amazon for a few books this weekend.

Any good recent おすすめ. NOthing too difficult.

Anyone read any good biographies recently?

Cocaine Nights by JG Ballard. Looking like an interesting whodunnit so far.......

Read micheal caine's biography last year, really enjoyed it. That guy did it hard for a while before hitting it big. Sorry, forgot the title.

Neal Stephenson - yeah, love his stuff! in a similar vein, anything by Greg Egan is also awesome, & has anyone read Rudy Ruckers stuff? that guy is way out there!

I just finished "Marching Powder" - about a Bolivian Prison - facsinating stuff. written by an Aussie lawyer, who went & lived in the prison with this Engish guy who was on cocaine smuggling charges.

http://www.marchingpowder.com/

Just finished Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. It's touted as being the catcher in the rye for this generation, although I didnt really get that vibe. It had me cracking up, fetching strange looks on my train ride to work. highly reccommended.

I`m now a good ways into Twelve by Nick Mcdonell. Its a novel about the life of high school age kids living in manhattan today (drugs, sex, crime... the whole nine). Had to really get used to the writing style at first, but its got a really quick pace, and is pretty good so far...