• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if by the bill one you are talking to me, I don't have a rating yet. Just getting started and it's about his childhood. I can say it's got a lot of pictures and nearly 960 pages. I'll get back to you on the bill one in a couple. \:\)

definitely..but that is not news...Slick Willy was always a good talker. GW unfortunately is is a decent talker, a dude with decent morals (I truly believe this), but a true American with no clue of the outside (of America) world.

No I don't. I think he became President b/c he had a decent abilitiy to talk to every day folks ( the vote counting trouble in Florida aside). GW talks like a lamen. He's one of the ordinary folks. But I dissagree with almost everything he's done on a foreign policy basis...

GW talks like a lamen 'cause he is a lamen......BTW, is a lamen really a lay-man ???

Seriously though, keep us updated on your 960 pager, I'm sure ol' Billy Boy's got quite a few stories to share. ;\)

Is there any mention in the book of Howard Marks (Mr Nice)? Apparently they had some sort of connection or something at Oxford (I think)....

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished "Blowback - The Costs and Consequences of American Empire" by Chalmers Johnson, and "Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern" by John Gray. They cover some similar ground, and the Chalmers book is somewhat similar to "Rogue Nation" by Clyde Prestowitz. These books are all frightfully "anti-American".

Now I'm reading "A Concise History of the Crusades" by somebody or other. I'm curious to know why the Arabs are still so bothered by the crusades.

"Powder" by Kevin Samson. About the rise of a band in England from the beginning to worldwide fame and the trouble that it brings. Good insight into the music biz and plenty of sex, drugs and rock n roll. I very entertaining, if a little light on, read. Great for the plane and/or the beach. A good little page turner.

I had to put Clinton's book down for a while. I got bored. It's told in first person, very Arkansas style, Southern, slow moving story telling fashion.

I will finish a book called "the money culture" by Michael Lewis tonight and will start on Lance Armstrong's "it's not about the bike, my journey back to life" tomorrow.

"Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How to Correct Them", Belsky and Gilovich.

It all has to do with how the human brain behaves when it comes to money. I like Behavioural Finance.

"Evil - An Investigation" Lance Morrow. I'm getting a bit tired of it.

"Big Lies - The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine, and How it Distorts the Truth" by Joe Conason up next. I always used to like his articles in Salon.

sweetaz, that Po Bronson book is quite gripping in a way. I enjoyed it, although I began to feel personally somewhat dissatisfied by the end of it. Beware!

O11 - Yes...i actually started it...read half and then put it aside for a few weeks....have just taken it up again. It was hitting alittle bit too close to home ...disconcerting.

Luckily i am a bit of a procrastinator so i am not about to give up my job and go to work for greenpeace or start a guppy farm just yet. ;\)

gg, that was a good read. Conason writes beautiful, clear prose, while his rational but firm counterstrokes against right-wing abuse is exactly what's needed.

Next up;

"Fat Land - How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World" - Greg Critser.

Already shaping up to be very entertaining and informative. Especially interesting as the sequel will no doubt be "How the English Overtook Them."

and

"The Soul of Capitalism - Opening Paths to a Moral Economy" - William Greider

Looks like heavy but very virtuous going...

Stripper,

Ive just gotten that book from a mate who raved about it. Not started it but after all the stories my mate told me about it Ill haveta!!!

I read Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons - enjoyed both of them but thought Angels and Demons was better.