• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxundKarl:
In the last thread Davo was writing about a backpacker above Tracks. Has anybody the name/page/e-mail?
Maybe this one: http://www.snowbedsjapan.com

2937-304 Hokujo Hakuba mura Kita-Azumi-Gun Nagano Prefecture Japan 399-9301
Tel/Fax: +81 (0)261-72-5242
Mobile Eng : +81 (0)90-7310-4032
Mobile Jap :+81 (0)90-7307-2939

where are people planning on riding?

i've only been to goryu/47 so I'm keen to ski happo.

is there any point in bringing my bc/avy gear (i guess i could always practice)?

btw ft, looked at your site and the lodge looks great. looking forward to staying there.

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
is there any point in bringing my bc/avy gear (i guess i could always practice)?
I will also bring my BC gear, but I am not willing to use them unless we are a group of at least 6-7 people.
 Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
 Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
I will also bring my BC gear, but I am not willing to use them unless we are a group of at least 6-7 people.
That's exactly the size of group we try to avoid in Hakuba. 3-4 is best. Not as visable.

Avy danger is dropping down as the new snow settles. I'm sure you will be able to find something to ski. And as SM says. You guys can always practice.

I don’t mind be seen and also not really worried if I don’t get the first line. I am still new to BC and the option of going up with only 1 or 2 more buddies makes me quite uneasy. Especially if there is no one that knows the area very well.

Toque is talking more about rope ducking OB than true BC.

True BC at the moment is a bit too dangerous for my liking. given many factors.

1 almost no one has been out there this year.

2 a horrible amount of layers

3 rain couldve re-opened the river crossing.

I agree with that but only in the case that you have 6-7 people storming the slope at the same time. If you have only 1 person going down the slope each time, and the rest observing from a safe point then 6-7 people party is better. If something “bad” happens and I hope I never have to be in that situation, then you have a bigger search party.

Ducking the ropes can be just as good as real BC if the conditions are good. Jugging from the weather there should be some wicked spots this weekend and we will not have to hick-up for 2 hours to get to them.In that case, for sure 3-4 people is the best combination.

MaxundKarl the backpackers I was refering to is called Traveller's Nest and is connected to Hakuba Alps Backpackers and Tracks Bar. Email or call either of those and you should get hold of the same peeps. Snowbeds is also a good backpackers spot-just located a bit far from the party at Tracks (maybe a 2000yen cab ride).

unfortunately we won't be able to make this party due to some other commitments. hope you all have a good time anyway. take some pics for us tsondaboy will ya?

regarding group size in the bc, I tend to agree with sock_monkey. I think the collective intelligence tends to go down as the size of the group increases. especially if you feel uneasy about something, it's easier to back out if there are only 3-4 of you. if it's a group of +10 there is always going to be a large variance in risk tolerance and abilities.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
SG are you gonna get us some shirts?

Ill take some socks SG that was the funniest email ever.
socks, no worries.

shirts? i see what I can rustle up, I see earlier that CB wants a personalized shirt too, chinscratch.gifbe careful what you ask for 'creek boy', you just might get it.

matrix.gif

As far as riding this weekend, coz of the lack of decent snow at the moment I might take my carving skiis and hit the groomers, hit some big super G turns and just cruise, I seriously cant rememeber the last time I did just that. Nagano is so endowed each year with snow it seems nearly every time I get out, there some pow to be had, going for cruise on the groomers is virtually never an option.

lol.gif that sounds yabai SG ;\)

anybody have the Tangerine Dream Vid? Theres a song in there by Citizen Cane (spelling?) called (Put yourself between a) Bullet and a Target, pretty sweet. That pic SG put up just got that in my head cool.gif

Im so psyched for the weekend. Gonna wax up my skis tanite \:D