2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toque, thank you for your invitation.

I would like to join you. But, I already have appointment to go to Kagura with my friends on Jan 28. See you on the next time.

Japan BC season will start from late March and late May mostly. If anyone will setup a meeting for planning BC tours for this spring season, I would like to attend. I will go skiing to Golden from Feb.8 thru 28, so Mar.11 around is nice for me.

As far as BC races, JMA mt ski race is stronger athelete level while Myoko BC Ralley is more recreational. Myoko BC Ralley is open bi-yearly, then this year, and around March end. No web site. This is 2003.Mar.30 report by me.

http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/myoko2003mov

--> PUB --> 2003.03.Rally

Gears are telemark & AT skis. I am not sure if snowboard is OK or not.

Sure, we, Japanese welcom GAIJIN butai.

I had to vote a no to the party. My Dad has to pick that weekend of all weekends to come to Japan \:\(

I will be putting him in the hands of my mother-in-law for the saturday though, so that I can come up and ride with you lot. What are the details for sat morning. When you decide please post it

This is a bit off topic but scince I'm driving to Hakuba for the party...

What's the deal with tires and 4X4 vehicles out there? I have good all season tires on my 4X4 Delica and I know how to drive in snow - but I've seen the tire chain scene as soon as there is an inch of snow and I've seen how badly people drive in snow in Japan. I have been told that you have to have snow tires and chains - but I think its just fine the way I'm set up now.

In Canada I've gone through winters with summer radials in lots of snow and never had problems - do the police turn 4X4s around if you don't have chains?

The more I ask about this the more I get confusing answers...

As far as safety driving, snow tires (chains or studless tires) are neccessary when driving to a ski resort in Chuo/East/North Japan from Dec-mid thru April-mid. (Studded snow tires are prohibited in Japan.) 4WD may be wanted when driving at "narrow" roads in pensions (B&B's) area with speed. I've drove Ford Explore 4WD with normal tires in winter Canada, but I do not want it in winter Japan ski resorts.

On my exprience, a 4WD car with studless snow tires is OK in winter Honshu areas except Shiga Kogen ski resort. So far, my 4WD car with studless carries chains from Jan thur Mar.

In the EU alps chains are by law required on many pass roads in winter. I don't know about Japan, but I think if I would drive in JP, and go for ski often I would probably buy a pair and have it on stand-by.

Try them once on on a dry road. It can be a bit troublesome the first time.

For a 4x4 chains go usually on the front tires..

For hill driving, the most dangerous part is downhill. That's when you want a good grip to stop in time.

Last time in the Alps I had a Volvo XC and still got stuck in snow and had to be pulled out with a truck. One wonders what the logic is of a 4x4 with automatic, and no axle lock. Once you stand in a shallow ice hole you are stuck there.

PS: I still would appreciate if somebody can post the "Tracks Bar" address in Japanese, or post a link with the japanese address.

I don't think you will have any problem with AWD and all terrain tyres, fjef, but if you have a pair of chains in the car, then all bases are covered.

Dunno about Hakuba, but I'd guess it's like Yamagata. Everyone has AWD and plenty of practice, so even the mimsers don't often get stuck.