Or should that be airline "food".

Has anyone ever had any decent food in cattle class on a plane? I really resent some of the stuff they put in front of me on the flights. And I hate the smell of it being prepared as well. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

No offence, but the bottom of the barrel is watching, um, Brits, eating the """""food"""""" served on Ryan Air. That just makes me sick. What amazed me is that they scoff it down just moments after taking of from Italy, the land of great simple food.

Whilst waiting in a line last weekend I met a very senior exec from a very large company that supplies frozen meals to pretty much every airline that lands in a European airport. I told him the food was pretty crumby and that I take my own onto long flights and don't eat at all in short flights.

I've had pretty good food on my flights lately except for GARUDA. (but I don't expect it)

Australian airlines served up maybe the best meal I have eve had on a plane (in economy) .

Garuda served up a dry omlete for brekkie and the kids meals were spag bog... for breakfast @ 6am???????

Malaysia & Singapore airlines have always looked after the 'masses' better than most airlines in all aspects imo.

These 2 carriers have been able to offer reasonably(?) palatable and interesting fare.

Serving food @ 30,000ft in a capsule to 300+ is no mean feat anytime - just some don't give a stuff.

I've found most of the Asian airlines (developed nations) to be pretty good.

Worst has to be Northwest (known in the industry as Northworst), but it is not just the meals but service also.

When you consider it costs about US$8300 to land a Jumbo at Narita. Add in fuel, staff ,facilites costs etc, and you can still fly most places in the world for under 10man. I don't think there's a lot to complain about.

Most special request meals are indivdually made, not the mass produced standard fare.

Most airlines ask exacty what type of vege you are.

Kid's meals are crap though. How difficult would it be to do an Okosama lunch

I've had perfectlt fine meat on Qantas out of Tokyo and a really nice roast chicken dinner.. I'd probably say the roast chicken was the best meal I've ever had.. so much that I ate my sons too!

Miso, you are right, kids meals are crud, we always just ask for an adults meal for my grom. They tried to serve us baby food to my son when he was 14 months old! Hello, maybe 6 months old, but 14?

Cathay are OK, not had any real gripes with their food.

The stuff they serve ex-HKG is freshly prepared by Skychef at the airport. So if it's sometimes disagreeable, at least it's fresh.

My BA flight had a wonderful choice of, you'll never guess, beef or fish. It wasn't nice. I had lots of sweets though - Bounty, Mars, Rolos, shortbread, cookies, crisps. Very healthy.

a cabin crew friend told me the most annoying thing is people squeezing past to get to the toilet when they are serving food.

I asked her why they served food that makes people go to the toilet so quickly.

United = shite.

Air Canada = marginal but sometimes acceptable.

Air NZ = best.

Qantas = very ordinary hospital food.

Ansett (defunct) = best.

JAL/All Nip = variable but generally okay.

A group of mates & I were going to NZ from Sydney a few years ago. We flew on separate airlines because I wanted to accrue FF-points.

They scoffed at the turbo prop Air NZ plane I caught from Christchurch to Queenstown - their Qantas plane being a jet.

Anyway, we compared meals (lunch) on these flights.

They got crumby sandwiches, etc. Air NZ gave us a large helping of smoked salmon, salad, beer/wine and a nice dessert!

Their ridicule ended, lesson learnt. lol.gif