• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Blair has said the terrorist word then.

Mobile networks especially seem to be quite frail in times like this, and it is scary not being able to contact people. Last October when we had our incident here it was impossible to contact anyone for many hours, even outside the main region.

Best wishes to all

It was pointed out on the tv here just now (correctly or not I don't know) that the first explosion happened at exactly the same time as the plane hit the first tower in new york.

Bastards.

This on Sky > A previously unknown group calling itself "Secret Organisation al Qaeda in Europe" said it carried out the attacks.

Quote:
Originally posted by sanjo:
Well Blair has said the terrorist word then.

Mobile networks especially seem to be quite frail in times like this
They have shut the mobile network down because that is how one of the bombs was reportedly detonated. And if not, as a precaution against a popular modern way to remotely detonate bombs.

Spook - yes, the attempts to personalise these types of events are indeed odd. I am seeing it a little here in my office. Turns out that I was approx 3 trains behind the one that blew up and didn't have any idea. I just thought that the London tube was up to its usual erratic behaviour. I have been asked by irrational secretaries (sorry to stereotype) 'where were you when the bomb happened' and before you can even draw breath let alone answer they start again with 'Oh my god, my sisters boyfriend was blah blah blah'. As I am riding it I have frequently thought about the inevitable attack on the tube, wondering if it would be my train and what the best survival response would be. I feel for those who have been killed, hurt and scared but I am damned glad that it wasn't my train. I don't understand why people want to feel closer to the issue than they are.

Overall, the people I am around have reacted in a really mature and quite sedate emotion. It is good to see the famous steadfast British composition.

UNfortunately this kinda thing will only strengthen GWBs stance on proactive terrorist takedown strategies and invasions of other countries.

My sympathies go out to all those people that have been (and will be) affected by todays events. Take care all!!

(I hope this doesn't double post since my last post didn't show up)

I just heard about this on the radio coming in to work. I'm a bit in awe right now. My condolences to all that have been affected by this. Those of you in London - take care of yourselves.

Quote:
UNfortunately this kinda thing will only strengthen GWBs stance on proactive terrorist takedown strategies and invasions of other countries.

This isn't the best time (or best thread) to really discuss this. However, my mind was going a million miles a minute thinking about this issue coming in to work. I have some opinions and thoughts on the subject I'd like to discuss later. For now, best wishes to all Londoners and British citizens. \:\(

What goes around comes around. We collectively had the chance to punish Bliar for starting a murderous war based on lies, and for crude parochial reasons, we didn't take it. So if we kill swathes of Afghan and Iraqi innocents, and they kill a handful of ours, who can really complain?

Bliar has already started lying about the bombs. He claims it's an attack on 'all nations'. Liar. It isn't, it's an attack on Britons for our foreign policy. He claims 'our values' can't be changed, but they should be, without us having to get bombed first. He should speak only for himself.

So, which country do we have to invade next? Pinning this on Iran or Syria will be a tough one. Bliar and Bush have been shown by this to be powerless.

BTW, people wanting to personalize, or showing curiosity, about this sort of thing is a natural human impulse. When something terrible happens, people with a bit of imagination think "there, but for the grace of god, go I". It's the wellspring of empathy. Don't knock it.

One of my J-friends arrived in London yesterday afternoon for the REM concert on Saturday. I had to call her and tell her that it has been postponed a week so she'll have to come back to Japan without seeing it. It's a very small thing compared to the people who have lost their lives. We hear on the news about the tens killed and hundreds injured but there must be tens of thousands affected in smaller ways like this.

Thinking of you all in London. Take care.

"It is important that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to impose extremism on the world."

Well, we'll see won't we. We'll see if people's mortgage payments are still their biggest concern from now, or if a bit of death and destruction at home doesn't wake 'the country' up to death and destruction that we approved abroad. It's coming right home to Bliar now. It's written all over his face.

I'm no happier than anybody else to be phoning around my family in London checking if they're OK, but the one-sidedness of these outpourings of hypocrisy make me want to puke. Frankly.

This is tragic. However, watching and listening to TB/GB on TV last night, I couldn’t help but thinking that you could substitute the speakers with the other side and the same speech would still work perfectly (except the bits about the G8).

“barbaric”

“we would not change our way of life”

“killing the innocents”

“our will is greater”