Tatami in the summer is OK for dossing about on, as long as its in good condition (unlike in our house where we're gradually having to cover it with carpet). In winter it's useless - cold as hell and yet you're not supposed to walk on it with slippers (we do though).

I find it amusing and pathetic that tatami shops put out ads saying 'Tatami is Japanese culture'. I go about with bits of Japanese culture stuck to my clothing where the tatami has disintegrated.

The best thing about tatami is you can spill all manner of nastiness on it and its pretty easy to clean up. Much easier than carpet thats for sure.

Also its soft so good for sleeping on and its cool in summer and it doesnt get itchy like carpet.

I dont like it or dislike it but If im putting my futon on top of it then Id prefer tatami, if its a bed I dont care.

Quote:
Originally posted by rachael:
and didn't take the futon up for about 1 year. When I did eventually take it up..... YUCK*100
!!!!you didnt lift your futon for a year!!!! no airing and beating? wow I can imagine the consequence! eek.gif

I think it smells like hay. If I was to just throw my sweatshirt on the tatami when I got home, when I went to put it on the next day it would smell like I had left it out in the barn overnight. Other than the smell I like it, but I prefer nice carpet.

I love tatami compared to what is under it. My crappy room right now just has the ugly splattered 2x4s. Totally gross and unwelcoming. They promised to re-do the floors too! Anyway, I am outta here this weekend by any means.