I must admit when I eat meat I like it to be well done - I can't cope with the almost alive rare meat that some of my Japanese friends seem to favour when we go out for a meal. The blood! eek.gif Yuck. I often have to say "very very" well done to get it anything like.

I'm fussy about my cheeses.

I'm fussy about my meat as well!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it medium, but here that seems to translate as well-done. If I say rare, it comes to my plate bleeding.

I had a rare once at a place here and it can't have been cooked for more than seconds. The outside surface was "cooked" (that doesn't seem the right way to describe it), the rest of it red and juicy and very red and raw looking. I had to ask them to take it back and cook it more.

Rare here is just uneatable. I'd have to go for well done every time, even if you get that it's not that well done.

I like mine down the middle, I can't cope with eating blood or burnt what-was-once-meat.

Oh, and by the way.

Roland Barthes said "To eat steak rare.... represents both a nature and a morality."

(I have no idea who he was, and it sounds like bollocks to me.)

It's got to be medium rare for me. At the very least it still has to be pink in the middle. Anything more than that and you lose a bit of the flavour and moisture of the flesh. Steak, mmmm!

Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
Gyu-tataki is where the meat is seared in a pan/bbq to keep the juices in but basically raw on the inside. It is similar to a blue steak (?).
But its sliced very thin and is pretty damn nice. Same as katsuo tataki. You wouldn't eat a steak like it though.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
 Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
Gyu-tataki is where the meat is seared in a pan/bbq to keep the juices in but basically raw on the inside. It is similar to a blue steak (?).
But its sliced very thin and is pretty damn nice. Same as katsuo tataki. You wouldn't eat a steak like it though.
Hey, thats exactly how I take my steak. Although I am very fussy about who 'cooks' it and what preparation they do. For a successful blue steak outcome, the meat must have been left siting in a room for a few hours to reach room temerature. That way when it is served, it is not cold in the middle (which remains raw). A room temperature steak seared on both sides is perfect. Most places that offer steak know nothing about a good cut of meat nor how to cook it. Take great care when ordering a blue steak at those venues.

The other reason I order a steak blue is that it usually comes rare anyway. If you order rare (which I am quite happy with) it usually comes over done.
  • 6 months later...

Went out for a meal with some people from work & clients on Friday. This posh steak place. My boss had his steak so "rare" it was bleeding like it had just been knifed. Gruesome it looked, I felt like hurling just looking at it.

He should have just asked them to not bother cooking it at all - seriously the only heat that saw must have been seconds on the surface.

Medium-rare, ate a great sirlion tonight. I love J-gyu. Kobe & Yamagata (Yonezawa) are so much better than I can find anywhere in the US...

Don't need big lumps, little lumps of premium qualtiy do just fine for me!