not necessarily layout-related, but does this board still have problems with posting Japanese text? It seems to occassionally get corrupted, I think it is parsing into HTML entities like #19979;#24184;#19968;#37070;

Example is my old post here:

http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005159;p=1

probably keeping the raw data as SJIS or EUC format might help?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I keep forgetting to ask you guys about. Sending PMs. If I go to my profile I don't see any option to send a new PM. It seems I have to search for a member (or find them on a forum post) in order to be able to PM them, which takes a bit of time. I was wondering if it would be a hassle to have the little PM icon easily accessible in the "my profile" area (or Insider, or both). Of course then we have to choose the member since it's not going to automatically be addressed to anyone, but that's no big deal.

Or have I totally missed something and it's there in front of my nose all the time?

Also, in the My Profile I noticed Topic Notifications. Is this a new feature? Looks very cool. How do I subscribe to these?

You guys are doing a great job out there. I hope it gets you loads of work from other companies.... this is a damn nice site.

When you make a new thread or reply to a post, on the FULL REPLY FORM, you will see a

"Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies."

check box. If you mark that, you should get an email every time someone posts to the thread. (Another thing we are going to have to keep a "bandwidth watch" on - ie don't get too attached to it!)

Hi SJ guys,

Oooh, I like reading what you say about email notification. So it uses up bandwidth does it? I didn't realise that. Oh well, I'll try and make use of it while it's there....

As for PMs - since you can't change your setup, what's the best way to create a new PM? I'm hoping there's an easier way to the way I've been doing it.

Thanks

• SnowJapan Admin

Good idea Toque. If only. The last 2 months seems to have been a never ending mess of code with the new Journals section and associated changes, the new index page, some nasty person trying to attack our server (and the subsequent very annoying week of unexpected work/costs), now the forum*. Time for a rest I think.

(* So goddam use the things ok!) \:D

Is there any reason why these changes are made in the height of the season? It just doesn't seem to compute.

This is not a compalint more of a vote of sympathy at giving up all that riding time for the creation of more butt boils.

• SnowJapan Admin

Most of our plans for the season (Journals section and Index page of site) were delayed mainly because of the earthquake. We were initially planning to have those online early December.

Major changes to the forum were not actually really planned (although it was in the back of our minds in the "to do" pile). They are due mainly to our server getting an attempted attack last week - we have spent the best part of a week spending a lot of time (and money \:\( ) upgrading security etc since then. One of the things we decided to upgrade was the forum.

Anyway, actually since this site has become so popular every winter we find ourselves cooked up behind computers rather than out on the hills. It's very sad. \:\( We're getting double the amount of traffic this season than last. While that is nice, it means more work for us keeping it all going, etc.

More sympathy please....... (although creating your own Journals would also please us!)