Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Worth pointing out that BAA is actually owned by a Spanish company.

That's what people who sell things to the highest bidder get though. Managers' duty, as we are endlessly told, is to the shareholders. Why pay for snowploughs that sit around doing nothing most years when you can just make people wait (and spend more money at your restaurants)?
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heathrow airport's boss is to forgo a bonus, as snow-hit air and rail firms begin clearing their passenger backlog.

Colin Matthews said he was focussed on getting people moving and rebuilding confidence in the airport, which was criticised for its snow response.

Eurostar is operating almost normally but most national rail routes report problems, including East Coast again. Most airports warn of some disruption.

However, the Met Office has lifted all severe weather warnings across the UK.

Both runways at Heathrow are open and two-thirds of flights are operating. But travellers were warned not to expect services to return to normal straight away, and to travel to the airport only if their departure was confirmed.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Heathrow airport's boss is to forgo a bonus, as snow-hit air and rail firms begin clearing their passenger backlog.

Colin Matthews said he was focussed on getting people moving and rebuilding confidence in the airport, which was criticised for its snow response.

He probably wasnt going to get a bonus anyway assuming it is linked to % flights flown/% flights scheduled.

made it!! was a bit of a long haul, but not actually that bad. Our flight to Heathrow was fine but at check in they told us that the edinburgh flight was cancelled and that all flights going north were full!! omg shite! After asking about flying to amsterdam/frankfurt/paris etc etc we were resigned to the fact that we would have to take pot luck in Heathrow.....until I got talking to this other Scottish guy behind me who was offered and accepted a British Midlands flight to Edinburgh.....cue me going mental and asking rather strongly, at the gate, why we weren't offered that flight as we were actually in front of the people who got it (I wasn't saying anything about them actually getting it, just to BA staff). So the Gate staff quickly got into the computer and managed to get us on the same plane :wtf: and our flight was due to leave Heathrow then at 7.10pm instead of 2.30pm. So we had an extra 5 hr wait in Heathrow, where I manged to get the beer and pies off to a good start by having a a chicken and leek pie, red onion gravy and mash, washing it down with a few pints of Guiness, London Pride, Harbinger and one seasonal ale called Jingle Knockers!! All in all it wasn't TOO bad....was knacked by the time I got home though. Over 24hrs had past since I left my house in Japan.

Photos will follow when I get back to Japan

Originally Posted By: Tex
have a safe flight guys - remember to bring me back some marmite please. biggrin
Originally Posted By: CptSlow
My friend wants me to bring some marmite to her in Niseko, is that ok to bring into the country? Ive watched a lot of boarder security and the last thing i want is a fine or something..
Marmite? Weirdos! The only mite is vegemite! smile

We've had this discussion before. rolleyes

Vegemite is namby pamby wussy Australians and New Zealanders , like yourself, who can't handle the man-strength taste and goodness of Marmite. wink

Now, go back and throw some more shrimps on the barbie shelia, and crack open a few cans of piss water castlemaine XXXX. wink razz

I am pretty sure it is illegal for Kiwis to eat it. What's a shrimp? Did you mean a prawn? Goes great on the BBQ with Vegemite.

Toast, vegemite (lots), then grilled cheese on top, then avocado and lots of pepper.... cccaaawwww, off to get some now.... that's the shizzle.

MMMM beer, beer is your friend smile

snowed last night, about 10cms but that turned to drizzly rain today. Temps have risen and are hovering around 0. I'm heading up to Glenshee tomorrow, so hopefully it'll stay below 0 and any rain can fall as snow

well just got home from a day riding in Glenshee. Forgot my camera so no pics and actually, thats a bonus!! It was a pea-souper driving up there, when we got to Blaigowrie (nearest town from the Dundee side) to pick up a mate, it was raining. Didn't bode well. Rain all the way up into the Glen, even at the Spittal, BUT as we ascended the Devils Elbow, that rain turned into snow....nice one!! Car Park was busy, we pull in just in time to see a guy hanging off of a chairlift, his mate trying to pull him back on....fail.....he dropped a good 20-30ft onto a rocky surface.....dunno what happened to him but it wasn't pretty. Get out of the car to find good old Scottish wind howling through the glen, forgot how cold it feels to ride here. Even although the temp wasn't so low, it seemed colder.....just gets into your bones!! I was worried about the Poma/tow lifts, but I got the hang of them right from the start. First run, the snow was crusty and not very nice. As we ascended over uo Sunnyside to go over into Meall Odhar, the slopes became icy and windblown with zero visibility....I then lost the screw from my binding and had to go mouching to the rental shop for vital repairs.....it wasn't the greatest start to a days riding. Got sorted and had a couple of runs before lunch, there wasn't my usual ski-jo fare of curry rice so had to plump for a Scotch pie....damn good it was too. In the afternoon the clouds lifted a bit and visibility improved, the temperature rose slightly, just enough to turn the dust on crust and ice into more forgiving, slightly slush puppy-like snow which actually made it a lot more fun. I will never complain about a crap day in Japan again.....after today I reckon I could enjoy anywhere!! Although the conditions weren't that good, I still had fun smile

Cool.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
As we ascended over uo Sunnyside to go over into Meall Odhar, the slopes became icy and windblown with zero visibility....

Not so sunny over there today hey? wink

i packed my GHDS, got out of the shower and dried my hair and then realized that i didnt buy a power adapter and they wont go :( hair is looking crap haha

Its right next to the brick and across the road from Java Bar

are you serious! you would hate having my hair then - your hair looks how mine does after some serious straightening.

You should be able to beg/borrow/steal a kiwi/japan adapter from someone nearby? I think kiwi & aussie plugs are the same