• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really disgusting to have people go through this. All the food and accomodation n stuff is actually the responsibility of the airlines. Viewed a few interviews with stranded passengers. Their airlines just cut them off. No customer support whatsoever. Just left them to fend for themselves in the terminal building.

Gatwick, the other major London airport spent 1.5mil pounds on snow clearing machinery and has 150 slackers clearing the snow. They had 90% of their flights operating.

Heathrow, the busiest airport to fly to India and Pakistan, spent 0.5 mil pounds on air fresheners and have 50 slackers clearing the snow.

Originally Posted By: big-will
What costs are those Mamabear?
People will still use BAA.
People will still use BA.
People will still use Heathrow.
They don't give a toss because most people use it because they have to rather than out of choice.

Yes you are correct.
But if it were me and my family heading out of the UK for Christmas using ...say British Airways...
Or worse still...and Aussie Family flying off to some Euro ski resort and suddenly stranded at Heathrow in transit and with no assistance ... what would I do in future?

I would tell all my friends and family about the poor service of (eg BA), and I would choose not to fly with them again if humanly possible. I would avoid doing that same type of vacation again knowing Heathrow is hopelessly disabled at clearing snow and ice. If I wanted to ski euro for Christmas in future years I would fly via some other airline into a snowy city airport that has the snow thing figured out. Bypass England at all.

No dosh spent at Heathrow, no dosh spent on BA, no dosh spent in London hotels, at the West End to catch a Christmas show before going on to Euro etc etc.

And I would advise all my friends to do the same, lest they end up experiencing Heathrow hospitality.

Now multiply that by all the people sleeping on the floor at Heathrow. I think that might have an impact.

Thats all very nice and a good stance Mamabear, but it don't always work like that.

I would go anything-but-BA if I had a choice, but I don't. If I want to get to Manchester, I need to go BA as they have the connection and the low price. If I went others, I would end up paying sometimes a ton more. So it's a grin and bare it situation.

Unless it's business class of course which was pretty goddam cool.

We are yet to return to Heathrow after our treatment at Terminal 5 the Boxing Day the year before last. Our bags all went missing - turned up 3 days later minus the one with the most expensive items in it. We were offered no assistance whatsoever and when we inquired about the bags they were grumpy with us for bothering them.

Half of my friends bags were delayed when arriving into Canberra from a domestic flight - they arrived about 8 hrs later on the next flight, but the entire family were given a care package with toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, clean tee shirt etc... Why they couldn't do that on an international flight...?

We are currently planning our next Euro ski trip and trying to make it NOT through Heathrow at all.

Oh I know that. I am in the same position with Qantas and Perth Airport here at home - only one airport outta this place and not a heap of options for carriers.

But if just 2% of the people in the terminal right now make that choice, and maybe just half that number again make that decision based on friends horror stories or media coverage - then it has gotta hurt them financially.

Heathrow has the worst reputation and that´s been like the past 25 years.

We knew from back then, all them baggage handlers have keys to all sorts including Samsonite. Actually, Samesonite being the No.1 target for theft.

Probably this anti-terro stuff cleared a bit of that crap but still I consider England a place to avoid going unless you are a refugee.

Yeah, defo fly to Europe, Mamabear.

You know the baggage handlers, caterers, security, EVERY **** BODY are from the same tribe in India. Remember one of them **** got sacked and the whole airport went on strike? England held at the gonads by an indian tribe.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Another problem with Europe, of course, is all those humourless Europeans.

I like some Italian and Spanish bitches though.

Not to mention the Swedes, Norwegians, Russians, Georgians, French, etc.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Originally Posted By: thursday
Kebabs are bloody good too. And the fish n chips. I really have to consider confused

Nah. Fish´n chips NewZealand !

You must be joking. NZ use sharks.

HA !
More choices than you´ve ever seen. You will be guessing WTF that fish is !
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
never been to NZ but chippies in Oz, while a decent substitute, aren't as good as UK ones

No way,

Flathead
Whiting
Tasmainian Salmon
John dory
Barramundi
Black snapper
Jewfish
etc etc