• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along the same lines.... the way that on news programmes they have big pointing sticks and specially prepared boards where they whisk away a piece of paper to reveal what is written. Usually accompanied by some dramatic bit of sound.

Mr Minomontas morning program is a good example. Once you tune into that noise, you realise how silly it is.

Today at the beach, the public announcement.... "today is the end of summer. The beach and surf patrol will finish at 5pm and then there will be no swimming until next year!" lol

even although tomorrow will be just as hot as today and the conditions will be exactly the same

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Today at the beach, the public announcement.... "today is the end of summer. The beach and surf patrol will finish at 5pm and then there will be no swimming until next year!" lol

even although tomorrow will be just as hot as today and the conditions will be exactly the same

Hysterical! rollabout

Not quite as ironic, but the news reports here in Perth have been bemoaning the dry dry winter all day - while it has pretty much not stopped raining outside all day! The weather doesn't know what date it is ... but I suppose the Japanese authorities are right on top of it wink
Quote:
Today at the beach, the public announcement.... "today is the end of summer. The beach and surf patrol will finish at 5pm and then there will be no swimming until next year!"

LOL! I totally predicted this!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Something that I just remember that really cracks me up is many peoples belief in arbitrary calender dates. For example, there is a belief that 'jelly fish season' starts on Sept 1. If you go to the beach on the 31st of August it'll be crowded but on the 1st of Sept it'll be empty. Our school has a set date as to when the students can wear their winter vests and mufflers regardless of how cold or hot it actually is...

I'm going to the beach tomorrow as it's my last day of summer vacation!
Quote:
Today at the beach, the public announcement.... "today is the end of summer. The beach and surf patrol will finish at 5pm and then there will be no swimming until next year!"

LOL! I totally predicted this!

Something that I just remember that really cracks me up is many peoples belief in arbitrary calender dates. For example, there is a belief that 'jelly fish season' starts on Sept 1. If you go to the beach on the 31st of August it'll be crowded but on the 1st of Sept it'll be empty. Our school has a set date as to when the students can wear there winter vests and mufflers regardless of how cold or hot it actually is...

I'm going to the beach tomorrow as it's my last day of summer vacation!

naughty That's naughty.

I dont think this is totally a Japan thing but over the weekend I went for a mtn bike ride and on the way back in I stopped at this little pavilion where lots of runners/cyclists/hikers stop in at and eat, use the restroom, have a break etc. A group of cyclists, about 7 people, pulled up shortly after I did. I went over and refilled my water bottle, and when I came back all seven blokes were puffing away on cigs like they were going out of style. A few young blokes, not of the group that was smoking, started chatting to me so we hung out for a few mins talking. Anyways, what I thought was so odd was the fact that the 7 blokes were all riding bikes that cost 40 man-70+ man for sure. To each their own, but watching them puff on those cigs like a crackhead over 10 mins just had me shaking my head. Hardcore cyclists and hardcore smokers confused

I notice it much more in Japan or Europe than I do in Aus.

However - bizarrely - the one place I am always barraged by other peoples smoke in Australia is when we are watching the kids play rugby.

The main rugby ground is a large field divided into loads of playing fields ... the sponsors are Healthways and they have their "Smarter than Smoking" banners on all the officials tents. I am sure it is a 'non-smoking' outdoor venue ..... but the parents insist on lighting up. You would think, kids/sport/healthy lifestyle - but no...there is Mum and Dad puffing away on the sidelines.

Strange to see healthy lifestyle/sports and smoking in the mix together isn't it?

I always find the ending of a phone call ritual quite funny.

It seems to be a competition between the two people as to who can say thank you and yoroshiku and all that stuff the last. And then there's the 'who puts the phone down first' ritual. Can't say I totally understand it, but....

How about the blokes toilets that have no door so you can see right in and get an eyeful. If so inclined. Can't say it really excites me but..... either put a door on or put the urinals in a place where people can't see!