Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: thursday

What were you packing condoms for? In case you got lucky with the fat lady next to you on the flight?

He wasn't too fat. smile

Corrected for you Ger. 'cos I know what you meant. rollabout
  • Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They ask those questions because usually the customs agents are really well tuned to reading body language to work out if there is something that you are hiding.

What? Me? Drugs? No...no..I don't have any drugs... shifty

How dare you search me...it is racial profiling I say.. veryangry

You get the idea.

But I wonder what part the subtleties if body language variation across cultures have to play here. I can see it on the Aussie customs officers...but I don't see any tells on the Japanese. Maybe I am missing those cultural cues.

The daily public announcements at 6pm over the loud speakers in my neighbourhood really crack me up. Today was a little kid explaining that school was going to start tomorrow... We also get one every Sunday morning at 8am...

Also love when the police make announcements looking for some lost old man (also almost a daily occurrence here.)

Little nationalist plugs that they sneak into English and other textbooks. Well, that's MEXT for you!

(For those that don't live here, MEXT is the board of education. It stands for Ministry of Education, Xenophobia and Technology)