• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: JA
Mee too, Tex! Waiting for 85 on forex and then watching the Amex rates.

Out of curiosity I popped by the currency exchange office yesterday (was next door to the bank when I was doing some business) to see what rate they were offering - cheeky b@st@rds were selling Yen at 70 and buying it at 84!! And then fee's on top - talk about a rip!

Japan has intervened in the foreign exchange market for the first time in six years in an attempt to weaken its currency.

The Bank of Japan began buying dollars earlier this morning, after the yen hit a new 15-year high of ¥82.88. The move sent the yen falling by over 2% against other world currencies, bringing some much-needed relief to Japan's exporters.

Local news agencies said that Japan had spent more than ¥100bn (£759m) on the currency intervention. Having hit ¥82.88 against the dollar before the BoJ stepped in, the Japanese currency fell quickly to ¥85.13.

Callum Henderson, head of foreign exchange strategy for Standard Chartered, said it was a "momentous day".

If you buy and the rate changes, take the money back and ask for a refund. Like you do with clothes. Don't forget the receipt.

Then, proceed to buy more foreign currency and take advantage of the better rate.

thumbsup

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Two strong currencies at the moment.
Aussie $$ and Yen.
Bugger.

Those going to the US this year are squealing with delight!

Yeh damn Yen marching along with us, and they don't want it too rolleyes
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Two strong currencies at the moment.
Aussie $$ and Yen.
Bugger.

Those going to the US this year are squealing with delight!

and those coming from the US this year are squealing with demise!

The yen's sustainability isn't going to go much further.

Yeah Mitch, it's a pretty brutal exchange rate for you. The first time I went to Japan I got about 120 Yen to the dollar. The second time it was closer to 100. Last Feb it was low 90s I think. Even worse now, it def makes things much more expensive. I hope you'll be paid in Yen! And ya know it'd be nice if you get a good exchange coming back as well.

I was thinking of going again this year but the combination of a low exchange rate and a big La Nina winter for the Pacific Northwest means I'm gonna stick local.

Oh and another Park City trip at the end of Dec smile