• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Two strong currencies at the moment.
Aussie $$ and Yen.
Bugger.

Those going to the US this year are squealing with delight!

and those coming from the US this year are squealing with demise!

I was just about to hit the interwebz and see if I can use the AUD/USD almost parity to my advantage in my Christmas Shopping - but I hadn't really spared too much of a thought for those of you in the other situation (usually coz it is us with the weak currency!). The lad going with my boy to Niseko for 2 months is paying in USD, his Dad is an oil and gas temporary West Aussie - paid in USD. It is hurting them too.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Two strong currencies at the moment.
Aussie $$ and Yen.
Bugger.

Those going to the US this year are squealing with delight!

and those coming from the US this year are squealing with demise!

I was just about to hit the interwebz and see if I can use the AUD/USD almost parity to my advantage in my Christmas Shopping - but I hadn't really spared too much of a thought for those of you in the other situation (usually coz it is us with the weak currency!). The lad going with my boy to Niseko for 2 months is paying in USD, his Dad is an oil and gas temporary West Aussie - paid in USD. It is hurting them too.

It is almost at parity. It's a really, really weird time for currency right now. There's a lot of money to be made, but personally I have values against currency speculation investment because of its often bubble endings.

Unfortunately for us Ozzies, the AUD isn't particularly strong, it is just that the USD is weak. So ... that means that even with parity to the USD, the AUD is going nowhere fast wqrt other currencies, especially the JPY.

Bugger!

What we need is for the Aus Reserve Bank to raise interest rates and the Nihon government to drop theirs. (like that's gonna happen!)

GoodOh! I'll be watching ... just need to top up the coffers for the January trip. All booked and paid for (as far as we can, anyway) at around 83JPY to the AUD. Now wanting to get some spending money!

Just back from what turned into mega-shopping in U.S. Amex bill for first half of the trip was already in the mailbox with spending thru 20th billed at around 83/$, second half with the REI & Northface bills probably down to 82. biggrin

• 1 month later...