Big Guus poked a bit of a hole in the hype in the Aust press when he pointed out the Australian team's chronic lack of depth. One or two injuries or a couple of yellow cards and Australia's run will end in a whimper.

About the diving thing - it looks bad but watching the rugby this weekend there seemed to be quite a few debilitating injuries that were miraculously cured after the doctor ran on to the field and administered some rudimentary treatment along with what I can only assume were very detailed instrucitons on how to care for the injury. ;\) Rugby should allow the coach to issue instructions during the game. It would stop the time wasting with the fake injuries.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know: During France 1998, the stadium authorities were astonished to find the Japan fans' seating area cleaner after a game than before. On the final whistle, the fans had picked up all the rubbish they could find before depositing it in the bins by the exit.

Scousers Score (until last 5 minutes): 6

Scousers Score (including last 5 minutes): 7

I was pretty bored until the last part. That might have had something to do with the fact that I watched the game from kickoff (no build up) and with the sound down lol.gif

For me that Japan goal came from a foul on the keeper and in lots of games would have not been allowed. Then again, the keeper wasn't in a particularly good position.

Feel sorry for Kawaguchi - right until the end he had made some great saves, but his mistake late on seemed to open it all up. Hope he doesn't get too much of a drabbing. 1-0 up with only 5 to go and then finishing 1-3 is a pretty awful way to lose a game of football. It should not happen. I'm sure the media is doing their "ever so serious" no smiling thing this morning......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
Aus 3 Japan 1 \:D
too bad. I lost 4 pints mad.gif \:\(

I actually enjoyed the game last night Scouser. Japan and Aus didnt seem to have quite the actors you have in England - I seriously thought in the England game that the players were dropping like Japans aging population ;\)

Japan played a good 1st half but looked quite tired the last half. Kawaguchi had some great saves but the D just couldnt/didnt help him out enough. Agreed that its too bad to lose 2 points in the last 5 minutes. I coulda handled Aus winning 2-1 which was my call for Japan to win...

Ill make sure to buy bushy some Asahi Red happoshu on draft lol.gif :p

Glad you enjoyed it. I just thought it wasn't that good. I didn't see a particularly good Japan first half.... Kawaguchi making a fair few good saves, yes, but not much on the attacking front. If Kawaguchi had not been so good, and the ref had disallowed that Japan goal, the half time would have been very different. All "ifs" of course.

(Are we going to bring the "England dropping like flies" theory thing into every thread? ;\) )

Quote:
I'm sure the media is doing their "ever so serious" no smiling thing this morning
Yes it is a very very serious morning. All of the reporters and announcers are putting on their very best 'concerned expressions' and trying to understand what happened. Shokku desu ne.

Without doubt, the keeper was clearly fouled. Australia must have been quite pissed at that being allowed. I hoped it was going to end in a draw as Aussies did not deserve to lose that. 3-1 is a bit flattering though.... ;\)

Bash, bash, bash, bash! \:D :p Actually I think Australia outplayed Japan in the first half too CB. Kawaguchi was the only thing that helped them really. They had a few good attacks but otherwise Aus controlled the ball for larger periods. End of the game 22 shots to 10. Not great for Japan. :p By the way, we bet pints of Guinness, not Asaha reds ;\)

Haven't heard any yet. Most people I have spoken to have acknowledged that he played a blinder!

CB, it was Guiness :p We were drinking them at the time which was why we bet on that \:D No weazling out of this one!

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:

I was pretty bored until the last part. That might have had something to do with the fact that I watched the game from kickoff (no build up) and with the sound down lol.gif
I watched it on a big screen with 100plus excited Japanese all dressed all blue, dancing, singing, chanting spraying beer when Japan scored. The atmosphere was electric until the final 10 mins.
Japans attack was pretty feeble and they shouldnt have tried to defend the whole second half with a extra man back on D. Nevermind

you must have really enjoyed the final 10 minutes bp!

heartbreaker for Japan.

no need to go on about 'serious faces on the news this morning', it's the same for any country that lost (or tied in Sweden's case)

No, it's not the same! The "concerned serious reporters faces" in Japan is a very special and unique thing...... even more unique than the 4 seasons and intestines of said people perhaps! ;\)

What did you do Bushpig last few minutes while everyone around you was silent?

Football/sports reporters were 'concerned' (for want of a better word) about the game.

Normal news reporters were not.

That's the difference.

Only saw the first half, but that was a sad display of bad communication between players and bad position play. So many simple errors and Australia moving the ball around waiting for ... Yeah waiting for what? Maybe for a few of the 11 defending Japanese would all fall over or just disappear so they could make a clean shot at the goal?

Still I thought the Australians had the better play.

That ref was rubbish, nearly as bad as the Mexican guy who did the England game. Those two will be getting the 'sack' no doubt (you probably heard FIFA saying they will not be using refs who make mistakes in the opening games again).

Quote:
Originally posted by brit-gob:
What did you do Bushpig last few minutes while everyone around you was silent?
Mate, we had quite a boisterous crowd of Aussies in there, and we were going nuts! I had a headache afterwards and I have lost my voice! lol.gif We had been making smartarse comments about the Japanese players all night, so we we relieved to have not had to eat our words...