• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that if it's digital hivision, you get a blue square on the screen saying "pay up" if you don't pay your NHK money. It supposedly comes up after 30 days, so you might get to watch the world cup gratis.

Analogue hivision broadcasts don't have the blue square, but the broadcasts themselves end next year, in case you're thinking of buying an antenna and tuner.

Every electrical store shows NHK hivision on their tvs. It's higher quality than DVD and looks fantastic. If you live somewhere like Nagano without terrestrial digital, the difference with ordinary terrestrial tv is very clear indeed. I doubt they'd sell as many if they didn't have hivision on to impress people.

We've got a digital hivision capable tv that I got s/h off Yahoo Auctions but no antenna so I can't watch hivision. If you've got the room for a tube tv, you can get former top of the line ones dead cheap now that everyone wants a flatty. Our's was only four years old, but I got it for one sixth of the original price.

My mate has had high vision for about 6 months and he didnt mentionn the BS fee. As far as I can see on the BS website/pamphlets all BS channels are free with the exception of WOWOW and Star Movies.

Maybe you need to pay the NHK fee, but thats not that much right, maybe 2man en a year or something which is fair enough considering what you get compared to Sky.

Well, I have my 42" plazzzma all fired up ready for some hivision goodness. The image truly is stunning when you get a hivision broadcast \:\) - I haven't paid anything extra (that I know of lol.gif ) for the hivision channels on BS.

I will soon be watching Costa Rica thrash Germany 8-0 (once all this useless singing, dancing, whipping confused.gif and beer-bellied drumming cringefest stops).

I got a 32inch digital tv and BS110/CS antenna, watched 20mins of the germany game before falling asleep. Ill be ready for the games tonight though.

I did get the square appear asking to register my BCAS card, which probably means paying the NHK fee. But you get rid of it easily by pressing ok/ok/exit. and it only seems to appear once a day.

Im thinking about forgetting the live games at midnight and getting up early for the 5am repeats, on weekdays.

Quote:
46 mins Apparently ABC have just called the England captain Mike Beckham, just moments after waxing lyrical about how famous he is.
lol.gif

92 mins According to ABC, this is the first World Cup game to be won 1-0 thanks to an own goal. Sorry, I mean, this is the winningest own goal in the Soccer World Nations Cup ever.

lol.gif

Thought I'd just share..........

well 3 points for ENgland but not all that convincing.

Owen for Downing - what was that all about? I can only guess its Owens fitness. But I couldnt work out how that was supposed to work tactically. And Downing looked very poor.

Crouch looks irreplaceable, even if Rooney comes back Id keep Crouch in instead of Owen.

I think Gerrard should be made captain after the world cup because he has a hesitancy you never see when he is in a liverpool shirt. I reckon being captain would get rid of that.

That Owen switch was surprising but I agree it should be Rooney/Crouch rather than Rooney/Owen.

England seem to start well but the 2nd half was pretty poor - even after quite a lot of beer. What happened?

Quote:
Boss Eriksson said: "Most important was the result today - we were suffering. But it's a very good start. "Maybe we suffered a lot. I think this was a real hot, hot day and I think that knocked us in the second half.
Multiple choice excuse list:

- the heat

- the funny dangling thing in the middle making a big shadow

- the referee (and his hair)

lol.gif

I haven't seen the match but interesting to see that Sweden couldn't get a win there..... \:\)

Quote:
'We suffered,' Sven-Goran Eriksson admitted. We all did.
 Quote:
because while Peter Crouch might have his good points, he was deeply unimpressive up front on his own.
Guardian. They are funny. The Guardian commentary was almost as interesting as the game last night lol.gif

I understand Owen off but 4-5-1 with Crouch and no holding mid to free Lamp or Gerrard? Truly dismal tactics.

Robinson was lucky that bloke went to ground because he would have clattered into him. We don't play error-free enough to sit on 1-0.

Anyone see the Argentina game?

Quote:
Maybe it was down to the presence in the stands of the great man himself, Diego Maradona, but Argentina put on a show to make their mark on this World Cup as the outstanding performers so far.

I wonder how the keepers are finding the new balls:

New World Cup soccer ball will unsettle goalkeepers, predicts scientist

Scientist backs claims of top goalkeepers

The new soccer ball that will be used for the first time in the World Cup's opening game on Friday (9 June) is likely to bamboozle goalkeepers at some stage of the tournament, a leading scientist has warned.

The Adidas 'Teamgeist' soccer ball has just 14 panels - with fewer seams - making its surface 'smoother' than conventional soccer balls which have a 26 or 32 panel hexagon-based pattern.

This makes it aerodynamically closer to a baseball and, when hit with a slow spin, will make the ball less stable, giving it a more unpredictable trajectory in flight.

"With a very low spin rate, which occasionally happens in soccer, the panel pattern can have a big influence on the trajectory of the ball and make it more unpredictable for a goalkeeper," said Dr Ken Bray, a sports scientist at the University of Bath and author of the new popular science book How to score – science and the beautiful game.

"Because the Teamgeist ball has just 14 panels it is aerodynamically more similar to the baseball which only has two panels.

"In baseball, pitchers often throw a 'curve ball' which is similar to a swerving free kick and the rotating seam disrupts the air flow around the ball in much the same way as a soccer ball does.

"Occasionally though, pitchers will throw a 'knuckleball' which bobs about randomly in flight and is very disconcerting for batters.

"It happens because pitchers throw the ball with very little spin and as the ball rotates lazily in the air, the seam disrupts the air flow around the ball at certain points on the surface, causing an unpredictable deflection.

"With the world's best players in Germany this summer, there are bound to be plenty of spectacular scoring free kicks.

"But watch the slow motion replays to spot the rare occasions where the ball produces little or no rotation and where goalkeepers will frantically attempt to keep up with the ball's chaotic flight path."

The ball, which has been used by teams competing in the World Cup in practice sessions, has already been criticised by England goalkeeper Paul Robinson and Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann for its light-weight and unpredictable behaviour.

>I hope you will find in this World Cup that any divers will be penalised

right, there were so many people diving I wasnt sure what sport I was actually watching. The diving was quite boring and they look like a bunch of p$ssies too :rolleyes:

The England game. Really 1-0? And the only goal was by Paraguay? *boo boo* They looked like shite :p ...now did the US even qualify?? ;\)

Some of the other games were decent. I think they should be allowed to tackle like a mo-fo, only if blood is drawn then theres a foul. You might see football players act a little bit more masucline then :p

You seem obssessed with this "masculine" thing. Is that requisite for a sport to be fun/good for you?

I watched the first half of the Netherlands game last night. Robben was having a right fun time it seemed.

Of course they are being talked up as the better team. Strategy and insurance. If they win "wow they beat the 10 meter tall gaijin", if they lose "they did well against the 10 meter tall gaijin".

They'd even talk up Everton as a good team. lol.gif

I have heard actually that Japan are going to win the World Cup because of their green boots which will become invisible to all other players on the field. Funny how no-one ever thought of that before hey?