where are you from r45? Overconfident Aussies? Hey that sounds like all my colleagues here at work a few months back. Except they are Japanese. Sheer ignorance as to the makeup and players in the Aus team. Their confidence has levelled out rather a lot since they have all realised that Australia actually can be competitive and has some good players. I obviously want Aus to win, but I think it will be a pretty close match between two fairly evenly matched teams.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just pulling your leg.

I don't actually want Japan to win purely for the fact that the country would go nuts and it would be unbearable. An early exit would suit me just fine.

Here it is. Just follow the links to the team guide for each team.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/default.stm

Here also is a good article by Pierre Littbarski. Accrding ot the website Littbarski played in three World Cup finals with Germany, including 1990 He later moved to the Japan as a player and manager, and last season coached Sydney FC to the inaugural A-League title. So he probably has a good idea about both teams. – If you know the words to Kimigayo, you may not find the article all that comforting. \:D

http://www.theage.com.au/news/comments/a...8956482838.html

Quote:
For Australia to win, it must ignore the "niceness" that Japanese players seem to exude.
This man sure hasn't seen that bloke from 4 years ago, what was his name Toda. Dirty bastard he was.

Who's that dude in the Japanese team with the "big hair".

Interesting quote from Ronaldinho:

"Even though Australia looks a formidable team and they are our key group rivals, I have to admit that I'm fascinated by them from a purely personal point of view,"

Seems he (and possibly Brazil)see Aus as more of a danger than Japan eh!

The rest is here.

Thanks for that link RG thumbsup.gif

New Zealand TAB has: Brazil at $1.25, Croatia at $5.50, Aus at $14 and Japan at $18 in that group

Togo is at $16 Iran $17.

Only Saudi, Costa Rica and T&T are at worse odds than Japan.

England are $1.60 with Spain behind Germany at $1.33 and France at $1.35

Portugal $1.65 Italy $1.80,

Argentina at $2.00 and The Dutch at $2.40 are at better paying odds, though not by much!

maybe they were exciting a few years ago under Troussier, but in the last couple of years their matches have been pretty ordinary to watch. I personally think Zico has not been the right man for them. Their last match against Germany they looked much more exciting than they have in recent years, so hopefully they can carry that into the world cup.

Japan was total crap. Just hideous passing. I think the plan was to win 6-0 or something and to use it as a confidence booster, but it didn't work out that way. The Japan that played against Germany was a different team.

Australia on the other hand did pretty well against the Netherlands, so I give them the knod for 2nd spot in the group behind brazil.

Japan has a lot of work to do, and I agree with BP that zico sucks and they were 100 times better with less talent under troussier

The Sun claims that England's squad took, among many other items, the following to Germany on Monday:

Styling mousse (24 cans);

Shampoo (24 bottles);

Soap (48 bars);

Vibrating razors (24);

Electric toothbrushes;

Jaffa Cakes (2,300);

Wasp killer (48 cans);

White socks (122 pairs);

Crisps (several dozen boxes);

and a food blender.

lol.gif

Don't laugh the boys need their styling mousse and shampoo (and white socks?!)

What is it with footballers and Jaffa cakes? I've heard a few times that they are a fave...

I used to love jaffa cakes when I was a kid

jaffa-cakes.jpg

The totally unbiased Jaffa Cake website says:

Jaffa Cakes - Deliciously self centred

The original recipe for McVitie's Jaffa Cakes is a closely guarded secret, the delicious combination of light sponge, dark chocolate and smashing orangey bit in the middle was first created over 60 years ago.

Back in 1991, we fought a battle with the VAT man to prove that Jaffa Cakes are cakes, not biscuits, and therefore should not attract VAT.

In 1994 McVitie's launched Mini Jaffa Cakes and Jaffa Cake Bars, to appeal to the growing lunchbox market. 1999 saw the introduction of the innovative 'Tubes' packaging and 2002 was the year of the Jaffa Mini Roll launch.

Jaffa Cakes are known for being irresistible but unfortunately, not everyone is prepared to get their Jaffa Cakes honestly. Remember the Munchkins, who would do almost anything to get hold them! They were followed by another desperate mob in the 1990's known as the Orangey Tangs who loved the orangey bit in the middle so much so we had to completely cover the Jaffa Cakes in chocolate, for a limited time, to keep them out.

The Jaffa Cakes brand team scored a McVitie's first in July 2000, when they signed a sponsorship deal with Manchester United. Jaffa Cakes became one of Man Utd's eleven 'platinum' sponsors but the only one focussing on kids in the UK. Jaffa Cakes were already enjoyed by the team and were officially launched as the teams favourite half time snack. The campaign's success was based on the product truth that Jaffa Cakes are low in fat and high in carbohydrates and so are a great energy provider.

It was for this very reason that Sven announced that Jaffa Cakes would join the England squad in Japan for the 2002 World Cup as part of their training diet. The publicity was amazing, culminating in a spectacular story of a McVitie's Jaffa Cake being found with the face of David Beckham, the team captain, on it!!!