Buying a season pass is mainly for the 2 weeks at christmas and 2 weeks in spring when I will ride more days in one of those holidays than in the weekends between them - and I just can't imagine riding in a resort without some half-decent kickers, or some rails, or a pipe, for all that time - riding powder is fine. I can do it. But time spent hiiting kickers or pipe 20, 30 plus times a day give me the progression I want. That progression is snowboarding for me. Ripping powder is fun but it doesn't make a you good snowboarder all round.

The only challenging off piste riding as far as i can see is above the resorts, mainly Happo, so a points pass will be fine for that - only taking the lifts up once or twice in a day. The same goes for building BC booters.

Having said all this, I'm not going to rush into this decision, and I'll probably buy a day pass for Happo on Sat and have a cruise around, looking for kicker possibilities, and also go to 47 to find out when their park will be running, etc.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually there will be quite a few foreign people in 47 this year. There are some people coming from Oz staying for Jan and Feb that are all going to be riding there.

I guess Happo will have the least foreign people because of the high price tag (which EBC doesn't even have to pay, so she can be quiet).

I don't really care so much where most people will be riding (unless they are people who are into building booters and filming each other, or know what's with up filming freeriding which is way hard and takes self control and sacrifice for the end product on a powder day) - I just want to ride somehwere where i can achieve the goals I want, which would be pretty hard in a resort without a park or pipe.

I may reconsider this, and end up buying a happo pass and a 47 spring pass, but then we're talking 100,000 yen.

Jeez, it's enough to make me want to move back up to Tohoku - a season spent at Hachimantai riding pow and building kickers with no hassle from the patrol and with barely a soul in sight (apart from the local pros) would do the trick.

I didn't mean to sound anti-social - Let's go shred (off the radar!) together, and I'm looking forward to riding with various people - i just mean that you have to identify what your goals are and buy the pass that best suits that, rather than listen to people getting excited about where THEY are going to be riding.

if you are gonna get the most out of that 47 pass because you'll be here the whole winter holidays i can tell you know there will be no park at 47 during that time, it always takes them ages to build the bloody thing. maybe you should contact your contact wink wink and ask them WHEN they think there will be a semi decent park on the go, but my bet is mid january.

as for backcountry booters, there are tons of drop points on happo where you could build - last year davey and his crew built up a quarter pipe right next to a lift which was funny on the run in trying not to knock over people trying to get into the lift queue ---- but seriously even in bounds there are tons of drops around the cat tracks all over the mountain where you could build quickly. and then outa bounds you could head in a more northernly direction, for good hits and very steep long landings. ps - alright i can't jump but i want to learn this year in powder and i wanna film, ohhh and i love shovelling snow, did i mention that? lol. but yeh just ask mitch about the patrol, i'm sure he got totally banned at one point. i'll be there this year.... with a points pass. so AK have a think about it, come ride it this weekend, cause there are so many natural hits all over happo in places where patrol won't chase you around, which is far less stressful than 47, though a good old cat and mouse chase is quite amusing sometimes. this year i'll be wearing red hahahahaha.

OK, well put EBC - that's something i'll consider.

That's why i wrote that i will go and talk to them about when their park and pipe will be in shape - i won't ride their all winter holidays if there are just a few rails and some small lumps of snow.

Looks like replacing the broken ipod will be on hold for now anyway $$$!

Back to Cassette Tape (anybody remember those?) compilations for the car!

Back on topic...

It seems to be keeping a bit colder than expected this week - even another dusting last night according to Hakuba NOW! report - good to see.

How are the lower runs holding up to the sun?

good that phone call lastnight must have sent them into a panic cause you shouldnt have to wait that long. I bet they just called last night and takyubin was called right then. PS you dont need nor want a shock absorber. The best skiers in this area dont use them so why get it.

gimicks equal more money

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
what's a quandry?

i'm sure FT will want to know too ;\)
cheap shot!

It's a small bird that lives on Scottish hillsides in the heather.
You should know that.

it is actually colder than i expected this week compared to the forecast put in last weekend, which predicted a warm up, and probably a thaw out. the pics on the snownavi.com site make it look quite nice up top, little bit of pow and even the groomers have been up there, i suppose preparing for this weekends grand opening. some snow dropped last night, enough to put a white coat on the roofs in town.

i'm just saying go to happo because i have ideas about where to build booters there, and i don't know about 47, though there must be tons of places and it's north facing which of course is a bonus. but secretly i want you all to ride happo because i'm going to ride 47 this year hahaha.

but yeh you've got that 22 pocket park steeze going on, you blatantly need a park - and if you carry a faux points pass, ride the morning pow, then hit the park in the afternoon with some building session weekends thrown in i'm sure you'll be happy at 47.

Incorrect use of faux.

It wouldn't be a fake points pass, it would be a real one.

While i'm at it, steez_ does not have an E on the end.

Right, enough English correction. I'm off to do some work before FT posts! lol.gif

love you all (in my special gay way)

Fark ebc this is why i dont want to tell you where i go, cause youll be telling eveyone where to build and when i get there my nice jumps will be pot holed.

happo open no hassle

47 a bit open hassles with a park

both wicked bc but 47 has some better less dangerous pitches to build your booters AK. Im not going to build a booter thats for sure waste of time.

but it is your fake pass baby... cause you wouldn't give the real one to the boys in red now would ya? like that faux fur steeeeezE you wear in the park, you'd never give that up, even if the dude in an all-in-one pink suit wanted to fight you for it, non?

FT won't you be there BEFORE everyone else anyway? C'mon you know you want to build a backcountry booter over there, so easy to lap up, and steeeeeeeepE landings. And you want to film this season don't you? And did you use the word 'wicked'? You must be hanging around me too much LOL.