• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

polarizer, like your polaroid sunglasses filter out reflected light. However, if you drive with the polaroids, you'll see the glass patterns in your windscreen because some of the surface reflects light polarised to you sunglases plane.

Try this, buy a new pair of polaroids, break them in half. Hold the lenses one infront of the other, then twist one lens through 90 degrees. The two perpendicular polarised plans will filter out all the light. Blackness.

Be aware that at higher altitudes, say above 2000m a polariser can cause the sky to turn quite dark especially if the air is very dry. So if you're heading up high it's best just to use the UV filter. Also if you double up filters on a very wide angle lens like a fisheye the rim of the filter may appear in the photograph.

Fisheye lenses are excellent. Might be a luxury but you can take some killer shots. Scenery, buildings, sports... I could do with one of them.

i have to go out now so I can't go in depth. Picture project sucks.

before you buy anything, download the 30 day trials!!!!!!!!!! there are many software companies out there that do similar things but their workflows are different. You have to go through and find which one works best for you.

I use:

camera mechanic to import photos onto my hard drive from my card reader

iview mediapro 3 to catalogue my photos

haven't decided on a raw converter yet but I really like capture one...but my 30 day trial is running out!

and finally photoshop to edit files

Photoshop elements is really excellent. It has far greater functionality than my ancient version of photoshop, and is really straightforward to use. I've used up 20 days of the 30 day trial and have now almost worked through the manual. I'm going to be buying it soon.

I use Thumbplus to catalogue my photos.

Bad news for one of my cameras:

I have broken my Fuji finepix S20 pro (top of range digital non-slr).

It was left in mt possession by someone who got a smaller digi because I would use it more....

...and I have broken it within a week!

It was in it's padded case in my genkan.. er.. on the floor.. and i think i tripped over my bag and booted it.

The screen and viewfinder just show black, and taking a photo produces white with abstract green blob.

It was 6man camera..

oops.

Of course all metal Pentax KX is fine.

So... might have to get anther good quality digi. Got compact digi that doesnt matter if gets broken... never the one that does though!

Canon G5?

Nikon p5000

or even cheap D40? and spend on lenses.

on another photographic tangent... seen a Mamiya 6 in the local Kitamura, for 9 man - compact MF rangefinder camera with lense of the Leica / Zeiss quality. which flash syncs up to 1/500th! (see what Ken Rockwell says about it - it's his favorite camera)

I have compacts, I will never use them again.

The DSLRs are just so good, you will never use a compact again. OK, go for the D40x then, a kinda compromise for a compact and a girlie DSLR.

There's a real photo boom going on it seems!

I'd love to have a decent camera but never really looked into it. I know I'd have to justify it with a real purpose to learn and get good. Did any of you guys go on courses or just self-taught?

course would be great. I'd like to attend a nude photography course.

It's a lot of fun trying to teach yourself. Pickup some basic buidebooks then off you go experimenting. It's a lot easier now that your results are instant.

Going for the Nikon D40 today.

The pocket digicam is fine, but I'm sick of waiting 2 seconds for it to work out its arse from its elbow.

My first two cameras were mechanical/manual. I'm going back to SLR control.

Soubs, I can get it for 49800. Don't pay more than 5man for it. There must be a kitamura kamera up in your neck of the woods.

then get a 1gig card for 3000yen

and a uv filter for the lens (2-3000yen)

and a small bag to keep it all in