Originally Posted By: [
[]]I'm also in the club of considering a digital SLR.

Someone else would at times be using it and as such I have a question. Online just now I read that "digital SLRs do not have automatic focus". Surely that is mistaken? Surely there is manual/automatic setting for focus? Tell me that's the case!

you may have come across comments that some auto focus lenses do not work with some DSLRs. That is the case with some Nikons.

The D200 will not autofocus with Nikkor AI-P lenses

The D40x will not autofocus with Nikkor AF lenses but AF-S are OK.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still thinking the 17-35 but today as a stop gap for my lens lust I'll venture out and probably get a 35mm F2.0 or the 50 F1.8 like Kuma suggested.

But if you mean did I go the package, no, I just bought the body and am using my old lenses.

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
i know the surf photogs have it strapped to their wrist

Um yeah, but they are out there purely to take pics kuma. I want something I can stash in my pocket or down my wetsuit that I can take the odd shot or three with. The D70 is way to big for that.
 Originally Posted By: thursday
 Originally Posted By: [
[]]I'm also in the club of considering a digital SLR.

Someone else would at times be using it and as such I have a question. Online just now I read that "digital SLRs do not have automatic focus". Surely that is mistaken? Surely there is manual/automatic setting for focus? Tell me that's the case!

The D200 will not autofocus with Nikkor AI-P lenses

The D40x will not autofocus with Nikkor AF lenses but AF-S are OK.

d200 seems to work with ai-p lenses (they report no problems with auto focus here: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_45_28/index.htm )

d40 & d40x only work with dx lenses. No primes are out at the moment.

but for you guys, you just need a body with either the 18-200 or 18-55 or 18-70 or 18-135. For a telephoto if you get a d40/d40x you only have the 70-300 vr that just came out (around 6man), or the 55-200vr

I think I will drop by the store tomorrow to pick up some prints so I can ask if ie Miller can have it sent to his local kitamura shop to buy it there.

got the 50mm 1.8 today. Had to go to 5 shops before anyone had stock.

Like it very much for the portraits of my baby. Somehow seems much better than the one I trialed from my friend a coupla weeks ago.

The white balance on the D200 is awsome. Turned it to incandescent and bracketed it a bit and it looked great.

Go get one.!!!!!

Thanks, thursday.

My obsolete, all mechanical and much-missed Pentax MX gave three options: aperture, shutter speed and focus. All manual. It was much faster than my techno- electro-Canon, and gave me better results.

I want a DSLR with aperture, shutter speed and focus only.

d40 does feel like a toy, especially coming from a d200...but for the quality of the pictures you get from that, it's difficult to justify a d80 for over double the price.

Yes, your lenses are limited for now, but how many lenses do you want to have? Do you want 7 different lenses to cover all professional possibilities? or will 1 walk around zoom lens do the job? For most people it's the latter.

bp, I've never used e-trend. I usually just get the best price off kakaku and take that to my local kitamura and they usually match the price.

Thanks everyone thumbsup.gif

I'd be looking at a Pentax body, but my ripper Zeis lens has a monster scratch on the front element.

6 megapix is fine for me. I'm snapping, not a photographer.

Cheers.