I thought we needed a thread to dump all our photography-related thoughts in. ie how to get the best colours when u post online, what camera/video gear you use on the mountain and tips & tricks.

Unfortunately since the season is nearly over I think this thread will be soon lost to page 2 & beyond.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for your calibrating thoughts....

calibrating your monitor is a highly recommend idea if your aspirations are to make some money off images...I dont know much about it but nearly every pro does it .... and is very likely reason for your issues.

as for this thread when it comes to print and web PS work I got some answers if ya need them.(not all but a few)

• 4 months later...

update: regarding the image problems I was having...after extensive editing, the pictures developped badly. The reason was that the photo shop (kitamura) lets their machine 'auto-correct' the photos. Contrast, brightness and sharpness are all done automatically. That sometimes cancels out or changes what you have done. You have to ask them to turn off the auto-correct.

I also got a monitor calibrator, the spyder2 pro. It didn't change much, just that my monitor was way too bright apparently.

I am going to get a d80!! but I'm still not sure as to what lens to get. I still have a 70-300ed...

I'm thinking of just getting a 50mm 1.8 off ebay and then maybe the vr 18-200. Not sure though. It doesn't seem that the 18-200 is good enough for pro photos...but I don't want to spend too much either! confused.gif

What kind of photos are you taking? I've got a sigma 1.4 30mm that I bought to take pictures of my baby daughter indoors. Its great in low light, of course, but boke is overpowering if open it up with a close subject outdoors. Under f2, the depth of focus for close subjects is also extreme, so you can get portraits where only one eye on a tilted face is in tight focus. There is very little margin for error.

The vr supposedly gives you an extra few stops handheld. While that is impressive, for action snowpics, a longer exposure isn't going to freeze the action. You want a fast shutter.

With the d80, you get ISO100, higher rez, and better AF. The only downside is that they'll release an even better one in two years time.

i was looking at the Kiss for a friend but the body is such a piece of shit!

EBC if you want a dslr get a Nikon d50. You'll get much better pictures than from a d70 and for cheaper. The only problem is that Nikon has stopped production on them but there's tons on yahoo auctions for 4 to 5man

kuma, I don't really know much about the d50 other than that it was aimed at the lower end of the slr market, and I don't think it was available when I bought mine (??). Is there a such a marked difference between the two? Anyway, yeah the eos body isn't quite as sturdy. But, it is a lot more compact than the d70 (what about the d50??).

As for second hand gear, you can get some great bargains but you can also get problems that aren't evident when buying. Slight glitches in the programming, processing, functionality. I personally am a bit hesitant to get second hand gear when it comes to camera gear. I think there was less risk with real old school cameras, but these days a lot can go wrong with them if you are unlucky.

Quote:
Originally posted by NPM:
Kuma, you really think you get better pics from a D50 than D70?
you can better jpegs. just read any of the photography site reviews out there. The key is the updated sensor. It was also aimed at dslr beginners upgrading from point and shoots so it makes sense to have beautiful jpegs coming out with no effort.
That's not to say that you can't get beautiful pics out of a d70 if you know what you're doing.d70 has been out a long time and the d70s really didn't change much. d50 is much smaller and lighter which is a good thing imo.

to save you looking up a photo review site, here's a paragraph from thom hogan (www.bythom.com) writing about the D80

What I think is interesting about the D80 is that it essentially replaces the D70s even though Nikon currently says it is an "addition to the lineup." Personally, I see no reason to buy a D70s any more. The D50 produces better JPEG images than the D70s at a lower price, and the D80 outfeatures the D70s in so many ways at not much more price that it becomes the new high-end amateur camera to get in the Nikon lineup (the D200 would be a prosumer camera; you really don't need anything in the D200 that the D80 doesn't have unless you have some specific higher-end need, like speed for sports shooting, use of older high-end manual focus lenses, etc.). That has implications. If I'm right and the D70s goes away, then look for the D50 to go away with the next consumer camera. In other words, within 12 months down the road I expect a D40 to replace the D50. Take a D80, remove some of the features (DOF preview, Func button, Front Command dial, multiple exposures, wired remote, optional battery grip, simplify the AF a bit more, slow it down by a fps or so) and put a renewed firmware emphasis on squeezing out some more JPEG quality and you've basically got a D40. Something else would have to give to get some more margin, so perhaps the shutter and/or viewfinder will simplify. But basically, a D40 would be to a D80 what a D50 was to a D70.

yep, definitely. If you can get a warranty, then no hassles.

Didn't know that about the d50. The d70 is due for retirement anyway soon. It was(is) a great camera when it was released, and still stacks up pretty damn well. Anyway, that d80 looks nice mate...