• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should be able to get a d70 for dirt cheap. 7man sounds expensive. The d70 has been replaced by the d70s. Unless you need the ultra-quick flash (if you're shooting skating at night) I would say that the d50 is cheaper, smaller & better. You'll get better looking jpegs from it. d50 is around 5man. I had no problems with the 18-55mm kit lens (even though it's 'low' on the nikon quality scale)

I can get a canon powershot s80 for 43000 yen from there. I am in UK and can't get close to that price. Also have to factor in I'm getting great exchange rate at moment. I'll get it shipped to Jap address.

I can get a canon powershot s80 for 43000 yen from there. I am in UK and can't get close to that price. Also have to factor in I'm getting great exchange rate at moment. clap.gif I'll get it shipped to Jap address. Where do you look for cheap camera stuff? Online? Abroad (not Japan)?

hmm, I have NO experience with a film camera.

start with shutter priority 1000. you might be able to go down to 800.

and bump the exposure compensation +2 (or is it -2? whichever makes it darker) on a sunny day.

The advantage of a digital is that you can do it all with a test shot and using the lcd screen.

I just bought my new cam today but I won't be shooting with it for a while (got to study japanese). I can post better info once we all start riding.

Thanks Kuma. Yes, I feel like a Dinosaur being non-digital, but that camera takes awsome shots. Tough to have to buy a new body... Never-ending. I was looking at the price of a 70-200mm VR, this is insanely expensive eek.gif (not to mention heavy and bulky).

i bid on a few 70-200's on the auctions but they always spiral up to retail price anyways (don't understand those people who would pay the same as retail for a used lens)

gonna wait til I sell some photos for that one!

I don't think you need a new body. try what I told you and play around with the exposure compensation from 1 to 2. trouble you won't know what's best until u print them so write them down as you test.

all depends on conditions and the actual equipment used. In general, in shutterspeed priority mode (tv) try 1/1000 the aperature should be f6.7 if not adjust shutterspeed. I think you need to overexpose, due to too much whiteness making the actual picture appear darker. but only 2 stops (+2/3, not +2)

I don't know much about Nikon, but I think the nikon lenses are even more expensive then similar Canon lenses.

As long as you don't want to go professional think about a similar Sigma lens. Good lens with a more affordable pricetag.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ian. Are you still coming to Japan for a shred this winter?

42000 + 630 furikomi charge + 620 shipping, so 42000yen (the others don't count lol.gif ). New price is 47500. The lens is a month old and 'only used twice' - it's in brand new shape with a filter.

I told myself I needed something to tide me over til my 18-200 vr arrives in a couple of months (backordered).

So no more lens til next year when I'll try for a 70-200 :p if I sell some photos.