Thanks kumapix!

Big question. I'm no pro photographer but would like to think myself capable of taking some great shots.

D200 = too complex / too much?

D80 = best for me?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, d200 is not too complex. It does not have scene modes though. These are useful if you want to take some pics on auto without thinking about it. They are a bit of a crutch if you want to work up to taking amazing shots.

with the d80 you can save some weight/ size/ money

with the d200 you have a solid weather proof body, 5frames/second

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I've gone through the D40 review, and it looks fine for all intensive porpoises.

I'd not be happy with the fixed lens though. What's the go for a zoom? How about third-party?

it comes with a zoom lens Soubs. the 18-55. I got great pics with it when i had it. if you want pentax then look at the k100...but it's more expensive

BP looking forward to them!

Yes, just realised that. The review I read used a 50mm fixed lens for some reason, probably comparative evaluation.

What would give me something longer? I don't want to go to 200mm, too big, but I'd like to get up to about 135mm. Are there third party lenses?

I've always had Pentaxes in the past, but as my Zeiss is stuffed I don't have legacy K-mounts and don't need to sick with them.

you can't buy the d40 without a lens. It comes with the 18-55.

the d40x has a body-only version though. You could get that body and the 18-135.

Soubs since you're coming from film remember that the lens focal lengths have to be multiplied by 1.5 to get their actual digital length. 18-55 becomes 27-82.5

trouble is with the d40 like i mentioned before, is that there is no inexpensive telephoto for it. you would need to look at 3rd party lenses, but even then I'm not sure what's available. I think you need one with a motor in it

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
kuma, I never fully got my head around why the digital focal length is 1.5 times. Can you explain that?

It's because the sensor is 67% of the area of a 35mm exposure, so any lens used on digital gives a smaller field of view similar to a lens of 1.5 times the focal length. (It says here).

thanks soub! That clears up a question I have had buzzing around my head but never bothered asking :thumsbup:

CB, I said I'd put them up tonight. Learn to read mate :p ;\)

You need to take off the ?v=0 at the end of those links.

Bushpig, you should upload some of your great travel ones to SJ and put them in the Japan travel thread, would be a really good addition. Having said that a fair bit of nature there - love the birds in the nest!