Kuma is the man to ask about that. He seems to know most of what's what. But from what I have heard, the really good deals are almost non-existant in Akihabara these days.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sod it.

I went and ordered the Nikon D200 with the 18-200 lens this morning if only to stop me spending hours and hours doing research.

The camera was 150,000 yen, the lens 89000 yen but I get nearly 20000 yens worth of points for that lot and knowing the guy a few more small goodies when I go to pickup.

\:D

Yes I get carried away sometimes, I do enjoy researching and learning but there is a point where I know it's time to make a move. It becomes all-consuming and I start thinking about nothing else! It's just a fair chunk of cash so there were a few conflicts going on in my head. \:\)

Memory cards. CF for you.

The D200 has enough cache for 25 frames at fine large Jpeg. If you don't always shoot raw that should be enough for you to get away with a "slow" CF card.

I have 2x 2GB Ultra II, to swap out when I want to download. THe download speed is acceptable.

Miller, try to get a minimum 2 gig card. at 10 megapixels they fill up fast. especially if you shoot raw

btw welcome to me & thursday's exclusive d200 club ;\)

nice snake pic bp!

what's the magic lantern guide?

don't bother with the official case. just go to the shop and pick one out for cheaper. try to get one that doesn't look like a camera case

is this the case?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407311-REG/Nikon_25336_CF_D200_Semi_Soft_Case.html

407311.jpg

if so, why not get a slightly bigger bag that can fit a small blower brush (to get dust off your lens) and other small accessories ie spare memory cards, filters etc. plus you can get ones that look like a man-purse. this will help if you travel with it and don't want to advertise your 24man gear

Man purse!! Oh no don't do that!

BTW, what "filters" do you have/need for one of these cameras? I'm slightly curious \:\)

I wouldn't bother with the case when your natural progression would be to get one of these for your accessories and lenses which you MUST buy to enjoy your camera to the fullest.

sequenceblack.jpg

Originally Posted By: rach
Man purse!! Oh no don't do that!

BTW, what "filters" do you have/need for one of these cameras? I'm slightly curious \:\)

you don't need any filters Rach. I have a circular PL filter which cuts UV and glare, which I use when taking shots of the autumn leaves, etc. It tends to bring out the colours, giving deeper reds and a bluer sky. But I don't use it that often. I also have an infrared filter which gives interesting pics like these

96224959_ab674a2d97.jpg

96224955_bb7d79af2a.jpg

Genrally I don't use filters though, and these days if you really want the filtered effects, you can do it through photoshop.