• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the D80 for 6 months or so now. Great camera, very pleased I got it. Considered the D200 but for me I didn't see it as much more (for what I need) and I liked the lighter 80.

I've got one of the cabinets - present from a photographer friend. The camera and lenses all look happy and snug in there.

you can leave it on soubs. the battery on that thing will last you for weeks i think...well, at least 1!

re: histogram

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/exposure/exposure.htm

and

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/histograms-1/histograms-1.htm

I shoot nearly all the time on manual. I decide the aperture or shutter speed depending on the subject. ie a snowboard shot gets 1000 shutter speed, or if I want to make the background blurred on a portrait shot I will go for a wide aperture. you line up the lines in the viewfinder and take the shot. check the histogram to see if you have any highlights blown (ie you have lines touching the right side of the histogram). If you do then you either bump the shutter speed up or lower the aperture. shoot. check. repeat til you have a good histogram.

Soubs, my English manual came today. I had seen it online but I'm really glad that I got it in book form now. For me it is so much better having a small book than viewing manuals online and it does tell you much more than just "what the buttons do" in it's 200 pages. It may not be a complete megaguide, and some of the people here obviously don't think so, but I think it is worth having. Ask the place where you got the camera they might be able to get it to you for free. I just paid 700 yen.

I got the SB400 after doing research and concluding it would be more than enough for my needs. Nice and small it is too. Haven't used it yet so no reports at the moment.