• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nice padded goretex bag to carry it in. I'll put a heat pack in. If the weather's really foul, I won't be carrying the DSLR. You can use clingfilm if you're really concerned about moisture.

I'm careful with my cameras, as with all my tools, but I expect them to work for a living. Over 25 years I've taken thousands of photos with my old Pentax. Mostly geological and in conditions varying from snow and rain to desert heat and dust. It's a bit marked, but still works perfectly.

A plastic bag? No I didn't think you would take a thousand + pound camera out in the bad weather in a plastic bag. I thought there would be some special covers or other products on the market to protect it...

i've got the sb-600 + sto-fen diffuser and it does the job for people. you get a bit more power with the sb-800 and the diffuser & bounce card come with it...but it's an extra $200

since I don't think I'll use the equipment as often as you, then I spose the SB600 should do the trick. Thanks.

Rach,

There are big big perspex cases made for diving which are pressure and waterproof, but they cost as much if not more than the camera.

I'll be getting a Dakine as above and putting beer into the unused compartments.

There aren't enough photos in this thread. Here are the MX and D40 together, taken with my Canon S40. (Un)clearly the autofocus was on holiday, but that's digicams.

ximg1839sm7.jpg

The Pentax is wider, shorter, lower and heavier than the Nikon. It also has a fabulous mechanical precision metal click-clack feel. Plastic can't replicate that. I'm very happy with the Nikon though. Press the button, it takes the photo thumbsup.gif

Glad to see the Kirins, my standard tipple. Don't bother with the coloured ones on the left ;\)

Todays topic.

I've been through the Ken Rockwell site, and thanks to him got my settings how I want, and a good rundown on the controls. Thanks Ken thumbsup.gif

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
nice. Were you waiting for it?

BP, it was flashing a bit, so I got the camera out just in case and then it flashed. Lucky to have it turned on ready.
 Originally Posted By: miller
 Quote:
His site is pretty comprehensive.

Yes I agree...but could really do with some navigation and organisation (and perhaps a splash of easy on the eye design).

yeah, some easy design would be nice. But grateful for the information.

ended up getting

1 x D40x body

2 x D80 18-135

One guy got so excited he impulse bought a D80 kit.

Came back with extras:

3 x 1GB SD

7 x camera bags, (3 styles)

3 x tripods

3 x umbrellas

all gimmes from the shop