• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for this thread. Ignoring the temp adjustment for snowphotography. What is the best tip for maintaining a strong blue sky.( even if slightly hazy)

Stopping up or down?

What is a good aperture.( for still photography. The normal optimal point is the middle aperture of the lens.)

Do you like a longer or shorter shot?

Any good filters?

Incidently I am selling a 100-300 and 24-75 sigma lenses for a canon eos(20d 30d kiss etc) body.

meter the sky and the sky will be properly exposed.

try a circular polarizer and you'll get stunning blue skies. it also acts as a nd filter so it will help with bluebird exposures.

longer lens is good for snowsports. wide lens is good for jumps and landscapes.

aperture depends on your shutterspeed. add an exposure compensation of +1.5 or +2. this all depends on your shot & the conditions though

a good guide to start with is iso100 shutter speed of 1000 and f5.6 for a bluebird day (read it on another site)

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:
Question for this thread. Ignoring the temp adjustment for snowphotography. What is the best tip for maintaining a strong blue sky.( even if slightly hazy)
Like Kuma says a circular PL filter is the easiest way. Use the camera's internal meter on the sky and use the exposure lock button. Fill flash if you want a foreground that is too dark, or shoot from the other side if thats an option.

If you're seriously into gear, carry a big bag and shoot static scenery, you can get gradation filters that clip onto your lens and darken the sky. They are normally square and you slide them up and down so that the darkened half of the filter starts at the horizon. With digital photos, you can mimic the effect in Photoshop etc. Alternatively, you can shoot different exposures off a tripod and combine them using software. This is called high dynamic range photography. Some people do it to get really freaky fantasy photos, but used sparingly, it can look pretty good.

Some cameras seem to be designed to produce highly saturated colours. The only way to replicate that in another camera is to use Photoshop and crank up the levels.

Originally posted by YellowSnow:

If you an get an f stop up in the f11 zone or higher youll get some spanky blue skies.

What is a good aperture.( for still photography. The normal optimal point is the middle aperture of the lens.)

f5.6-f8 are the sweet spots depending on what you after for depth of field...but whatever you choose will depend on your shutter and availble light which should be atleast 1/1000s

Any good filters?

UV all you really need

Thanks all good tips!

This year I have gone all digital. If not I would just slip some velia in my mamiya.

I will look into a circular polarizer.

Yeah 100iso is good. But cant beat lower iso films. Ianbc you go as fast as 1/1000s? For sport or scenery?

I guess I was always on the slow side prefering long exposures. I might try a night transition 60min exposure the next mountain I am up.

• 1 month later...

EBC - to check prices on cameras go here

http://kakaku.com/sku/pricemenu/dezi1.htm

(choose the maker and you'll see all the cheapest prices in Japan)

last week you were considering the d50 double zoom lens kit (18-55 & 55-200) for 65000

for reviews on different cameras check

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

also check out the pentax k10d. it looks pretty good.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have any advice for processing from RAW to JPEG? i have recently purchased Aperture and i am liking it, but i am also noticing a significant difference in the image once i export it to a JPEG format. any tips on how to compensate/prevent this?

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
does anyone have any advice for processing from RAW to JPEG? i have recently purchased Aperture and i am liking it, but i am also noticing a significant difference in the image once i export it to a JPEG format. any tips on how to compensate/prevent this?
if your losing colour...shots look desaturated then you want to...
first shoot adobeRGB (in camera) then when you do your PS/Aperture work convert it to sRGB and save for web.(in PS ... edit .. convert to profile..sRGB)

If you are photographing in RAW, it doesn't matter what colourspace you are using. AdobeRGB can represent about 25% more colour. If you need applications that support it. e.g. a printer that accepts AdobeRGB. If it is just for web, microsoft documents, powerpoint it will only display as sRGB anyway. I always save as AdobeRGB because I might want to print it.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks the thread is back from the dead!

I know a few of you have the Nikon D200. Just reading back on reviews though and notice that it was is nearly a year and a half since it was released. Any news on a possible successor to it or will it be the kind for a while yet?

earliest could be an october announcement for a d200s but that's a completely groundless guess.

In other news, I'm getting one for my buddy and was quoted a price of 138000 which is pretty cheap

Originally Posted By: Wizz
Anywhere you can tell us about? \:\)

At my local kitamura. I buy so much from there plus I'm the negotiating pointman for all my friends so as soon as I walk in they know to give me the best deals. I bet I could knock a little off that 138000 too. If you can't get that price where you are I can hook you up...but you would have to add shipping (which should be under 2000yen)

I paid 154000 for mine last october \:\(