• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it's a dx lens so made for digital. btw it would work out to 25.5-82.5

I have the d50 with 18-55 kit lens but I am selling that next week and will eventually get the d80 (body only).

I'm looking at the 17-55 because the 18-55 I had was the perfect range for my everyday shots, and I'd like to get into the pro glass. I had been considering the 18-200vr which is 10man so switching over to a used 17-55 seems feasible (and better glass).

btw I am selling a 30man video camera so that will give me some capital for the big purchases thumbsup.gif

any advice/comments are welcome though as I am not 100% decided

what's the nikon's clarity like at its widest range? i have the canon and it is a little weak around the edges when i try to max the wide angle.

i pressume that to be one of the reasons for the pro glass interest?

hey kuma what other glass do you have? I assume that your interested in shooting shredding. If your gonna spend the money the most common used lens for snowsports are 70-200 and fishes or super wides, the range of 17-55 is not very commonly used, i almost never use that range. Just something to consider. If your dropping the doe with winter around the corner.

I've got a nikon 70-300 ed 4-5.6

I was just going to use that for shred shots, and buy a 17-55 for everything else. then eventually replace the zoom lens with a better one. fish would be nice but that's later.

how would u shoot shredding with a superwide (ie the 12-24, right?) -- you'd have to be right up close ie rails or a under a cliff drop, right?

so like i said, I've got the 70-300 and I'll have about 2grand to drop on the nikon d80 and one lens.

while we're on the topic, I'm looking for a camera backpack that will fit a probe and shovel. my burton zoom is hopeless and it looks like the dakine sequence will only fit a minishovel and miniprobe. thumbsdown.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
I've got a nikon 70-300 ed 4-5.6
I was just going to use that for shred shots, and buy a 17-55 for everything else. then eventually replace the zoom lens with a better one. fish would be nice but that's later.
how would u shoot shredding with a superwide (ie the 12-24, right?) -- you'd have to be right up close ie rails or a under a cliff drop, right?

so like i said, I've got the 70-300 and I'll have about 2grand to drop on the nikon d80 and one lens.

while we're on the topic, I'm looking for a camera backpack that will fit a probe and shovel. my burton zoom is hopeless and it looks like the dakine sequence will only fit a minishovel and miniprobe. thumbsdown.gif
burton zoom is the bag.... it holds tons gear, all avy gear lunch and fluid. and all tightly.

i have the older one that is blue in colour, you hook your probe with your board carry straps, through the probe loops.

as for gear...on snow I bring 70-200 film body, digi body a fish and 16-35. for any thing else like mtb I usually bring much more like lights and more glass.

ah, I see. I want one where the probe and shovel can be inside where there's no chance they'll get ripped away.

see, you've got a 16-35, that's why I was going to get the 17-55 2.8 (more range than the 17-35). and see if I make money, then sell the 70-300 4-5.6 and get a 70-200 2.8 and fish.

that way I don't drop 2 grand and have no non-zoom lens.

my shop has ordered the dakine sequence so at the end of October I'll be able to try sticking my avy gear in it thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i think I laughed my ass off for half an hour afterwards. There was a guy sitting on it for 2 days, then someone tried to snipe him at the last second too but I sniped higher than him lol.gif

It was too much fun. but then I realized 'oh, shit' I just bought a fisheye. damn. I have one for my video camera and I hardly use it. It's not an everyday lens.