• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can choose the popup timer function.

at the top where it says how many days/time left, next to it it says 'komakai nokori jikan'. if you click on that,a timer window opens up but u have to click in the window to get it started.

I had my bid inputed and hit'bid' when the timer got to 10 seconds. then it was a panicked rush as a confirmation screen or 2 come up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it's become clear in the last three weeks that i need a much better digital than my point-and-crap LUMIX DMC-FX1.

no instruction manual that i can find on the net.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfx1.asp

is it possible to set the DPI on the camera to higher resolution, say 350? mine is at 72 now...

or do i just fork out the yen and get a Nikon d50 that kuma and bushpig are getting me interested in?

Look at the D80 diz. It is excellent! I have the D70 which I think Kuma and Bushy have too. Highly recommended as well and you might still be able to get a cheap deal on one as the D80 has not hit the shops.

d80 has been out for a couple of months npm. dizzy you would be looking at dropping over 10man to get setup with it though.

rumour is that nikon will be announcing a d40 at the end of this month in time for christmas.

It should be 10 megapixels with less features than the d50.

this will mean the d50 will get even cheaper. You can get it new nowadays for just over 5man. you can pick up an 18-70 lens used for cheap on auctions for a man or 2 and you're set up.

just remember dizzy that dslr's are a lot bigger than the point and shoot that you've got now. You can't just casually throw it in a pocket and forget about it. Best thing to do is to go to a shop and pick up all the cameras and play with them. You'll easily figure out which feels best for you. D80 is a great camera but i don't like the grip so that's why I'm going with something a bit bigger. I loved the d50 grip though. Canon is quality too.

you def should be able to change the resolution to 300 on your panny though. sounds like you have it in a web mode.

yeah the canons are also worth looking at. Kuma, what kind of grip is the d50 in comparison to the d70? I thought the d70 was too chunky at first, but actually like it a lot more than the smaller canons now.

d70 has a wonderful grip. The d50 grip is similar but the whole camera is more compact (so eliminate the chunky factor of the d70). The d80 is slightly smaller than the d50 but they've shortened the grip a little which i don't like. It doesn't feel built for my hand like the d50/d70/d200. the entry level canons feel like toys plus I can only fit 3 fingers on the grip. the 10d/20d/30d have an ok grip but it doesn't do much for me

I've had a go on a D80 with the new 18-200 VR at a Nikon showroom. The finder and screen are bigger than the D70 and it felt slightly more compact. The lens is really compact for the range it covers and will sell by the bucketload if they can make enough of them. Even Nikon didn't have any for sale in their own shop.

Personally I wouldn't judge a camera by photos taken in blue sky conditions. You're really in the comfort zone for camera technology there. Even a mobile phone will give you something that looks nice.

very true on the blue sky call MrW. My keitai camera takes great blue sky shots, but get any darkness and the quality really drops. O11, I really don't know recently, but my guess is that you could find a D70 quite a bit less than that now. Kuma probably knows...

a very quick look on yahoo shopping showed the body for around 7 - 7.5 man. I reckon you could pick one up cheaper than that though. Of course then you need a lense. But you could get a decent one second hand pretty cheap I think.