• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to phone them tonight just to check.   But unless they have rebuilt my local pub on my parent's land, I think I know the answer!

(but only girls please)

Looking at getting the new 4G regza phone with the android os. It as a quad core processor same as my computer with nvidia graphics chip 16 gigs of memory, 13 meg camera and can connect to the high speed wimax 40mbytes connection.

Will be getting that by nov/dec. It also comes with a 4.6 inch screen which is bigger than what I have now.

Also has a longer lasting battery, which is about time because the battery life on the smart phone I have now sucks big time.

I love Apple gadgets but I'm not sold on the rumors about this new iPhone 5. The biggest improvement seems to be the LTE compatibility which won't do much for users in Japan. Also, one big draw back is not having google maps... guess we'll have to see how the new Apple maps stacks up. I'm not really sure I like the idea of a bigger phone either. If it's true that Siri will have hooks into apps (being able to control different apps with Siri) then I might be slightly more interested. I guess I'll decide when I see what kind of deals Au has for iPhone 4s users.

Doesn't look like Docomo will be going with the iphone if this is to be believed

スペックやデザイン、そして発売時期に関して、世界中でさまざな憶測が飛び交うiPhone5(仮称)。今秋発売とも予測されているが、これまで何度も真偽不明の商品画像がネット上に流出するなど、その関心の高さがうかがえる。

しかし、日本のケータイユーザーがもっとも知りたいのは、今度こそ国内最大手キャリアであるNTTドコモから発売するのか、という点かもしれない。モバイルナンバーポータビリティによってケータイキャリア選択の自由度は広がったものの、「iPhoneのためにドコモから別キャリアに移行するのはちょっと……」と、二の足を踏んでいる人も多いのでは?

はたして最新の情報はどうなっているのか。アップル社情報に詳しい日本のスマホ業界関係者A氏は、たとえiPhone5でもドコモから発売されることはないと推測する。

「4月の末に、山田隆持社長が『現状ではドコモがiPhoneを取り扱うのは難しい』と明言してるんだよね。それは販売権を与える見返りに、アップルがドコモに要求している条件があまりに厳しいため。6月に予定されている社長交代を機にドコモの方針も変わるかと期待されてたけど、次期社長の加藤薫氏もどうやら山田社長と同路線を歩むらしい。だから、ドコモからの発売はしばらくないと思ったほうがいい」

この意見には、ITライターのB氏も同調する。

「キャリアがただの回線提供者になってしまうと、あとは同業者間の低価格競争に突入して疲弊するだけなのは目に見えています。ドコモはそうした“土管化”だけはなんとしても避けたいと考え、自社のネットワークとサービスを融合させたビジネスモデルを確立しようとしています。しかし、iPhoneを導入すればアップストアやiTunesやiCloudなど、サービスの根幹をアップルに握られてしまう。ドコモとして、そこはどうしても譲れない。だからこそ今、Android端末価格や回線使用料を値下げするなど、iPhoneの力を借りずに顧客流出を食い止めようと必死になっているわけです」

山田社長はこれまで、キャリアが通信回線だけを提供し、サービスや端末は他社に依存するようになると、ドコモがただの「土管屋(地下を通るネットワーク=土管だけを提供する企業の意)」になってしまうと危惧してきた。だからこそ、iPhoneというキラーコンテンツに頼らないビジネスモデルの確立を目指しているのだ。

ソフトバンクやauがiPhoneへの依存を強めている現状、ドコモはいつまでこの方針を維持するのか、それともiPhoneを凌駕する魅力的なAndroid端末が登場するのか。現在の端末に満足しているドコモユーザーにとっては、まったく関係のない話ではあるが、しばらくはiPhone5のスクープ合戦が続きそうだ。

At the upcoming Apple event on September 12, the company is expected to release a new iPhone compatible with 4G LTE connectivity around the world. Yet, competitors such as Samsung and HTC are already warning Apple that if it releases a new iPhone with LTE connectivity, they will sue the company for patent infringements and will demand a sales ban in the U.S.

When it comes to 4G LTE connectivity, smartphone makers have accumulated patents over the years in order to be prepared for any patent lawsuit. As Apple has not released a 4G phone yet, it is late to the game. Competitors want to take advantage of the situation and prevent Apple from releasing a 4G LTE iPhone.

:doh:

I think I'm most interested to see what the Maps app they introduce is like.

Lets face it the google maps on apple ios is rubbish and underdeveloped. Hard to see how they can go from near zero (yeah I know they bought some companies) to being ace in one step, but it will be interesting to see what they do end up looking like.

Is there any chance that all these leaks are controlled fakes? And the actual new iphone actually looks quite different? That would be fun. Right now it just looks like a longer iphone 4.

LTE has expected. Samsung and HTC are going to have a field day with that as they own some of the patents behind LTE. Another round of lawsuits coming up.

For those waiting on the iPhone 5, what major innovations have there been for you with this new model?