Obviously, I know very little about the situation and politics and big business involved.

But you'd think that Google would have a lot to gain and have a real competitive advantage over Apple by withholding their Maps from apple or at least as big-will said give Apple time to stew.

What a mess though. But kind of fun to watch unfold.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to phone them tonight just to check.   But unless they have rebuilt my local pub on my parent's land, I think I know the answer!

(but only girls please)

You can but

1 It is not optimised for small screen like the app was and doesn't work flawlessly

2 Many thousands of Apps that include maps cannot use them, because they are no longer part of the iOS. See SJ-David's comment above.

I noticed the maps in our Apps have changed as well.

:(

Worth pointing out that this wasn't a change we made, it has simply changed with the iOS update.

:(

Will it be a lot of work to fix it?

• SnowJapan Admin

I really have no idea. Is it even possible to change, I wonder? Must admit I wasn't expecting it to change, we had not heard about that beforehand.

Problem is, at the moment there are four of us working 20 hour days (or it seems like that) with large amounts of steam coming out from the top of our heads, and so we simply do not have the time to even contemplate doing something like that right at this moment.

Especially as that is the one thing that we don't do ourselves, so to speak.

It's going to have to remain as it is for the time being unfortunately.

*Just to add to that, if we find out it can be done and it's really really easy, then I'm sure we can at least try to stretch attempting it. :)

Edited by SJ-David

Thanks for the fast reply. That's too bad. For folks that haven't seen it, Snow Japan is a really great app. For a free app, it's brilliant.

As it happens, I've just been to the au shop with my missus and they had the new iPhone in alongside the old one.

Somewhat like that video posted earlier, our conversation went along the lines of

her: This one's the 5 isn't it?

me: No it isn't. That's just the same one in a different colour. The new one is bigger.

her. But it says 5 here.

me: Nah, they won't have it in yet. (triple checking and noticing one more row of icons) Oh, err, you're right.

The screen on the 5 is 25% bigger,but its still small compared to the android ones.

For us, it looks too small for looking at the Internet. If we get a smartphone, that's what we'll want to do with it.

I think we'll wait for the winter lineup to come out, and then get the new or old Galaxy depending on the price.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks Mr Wiggles.

I have just had a chat with the developer and he basically told me we have to live with it.

Essentially if an App is detecting map code, then iOS is sending the Apple Maps and 'replacing' Google Maps.

And nothing can be done about it - even if we wanted to.

I'm keen to get a second opinion on that - not much else to do these days, so it will fill the time - but that's what I've just been told.

The excitement over the new phone will probably mask this for a while, but Maps is not something that is going to be fixed quickly.

Massive job, they have probably done really well and worked very hard on them, but its obviously substandard compared with what it has replaced there is no getting round that.

This issue is going to go on for quite a while.