Well, if I had the money I would be skiing in Japan right now. Provided I could get there. I was telling Mr Minty last night that I want to be in Japan right now - I mean if we're going to have EQ's and AS's, I might as well be sliding down a big white mountain rather than sitting at home every day (Feeling EVERY SINGLE AS!!! I'm losing it here) because my place of work has fallen down.

People are saying here in NZ that the nuclear power plant explosion is the worst industrial disaster ever (Remember that NZers are hugely against nuclear power for the most part) which seems a little quick to jump to conclusions.

I don't mind radiation in exchange for awesomeness smile Fortunately from what everyone is saying here I don't even have to have any radiation.

We've had to put off having children because our house will be slightly dangerous to live in for the next 6-9 months until EQC come and see us (and probably the next year after that until they come and repair our house), so maybe we can save up for another Japan Ski trip!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Arrived in Chitose under clear blue skies and 0 deg C temps at mid-day today.

Same on the drive to the Niseko area, but within 30 mins of arriving in Niseko Hirafu the temps dropped significantly and the flakes started falling. Hasn't stopped since.

Kiroro tomorrow to pick up my seasons pass and see what's fallen.

For anyone in two minds about visiting the mountains of Hokkaido, I haven't witnessed any damage or lack of goods or services in the short time I've been here.

Energy provision is not a problem, night skiing is still fully operational.

Hirafu is quiet but there are still people here very much enjoying the quality of snow and the lack of crowds.

It looks like everything's good still up in Niseko. Maybe I should still go ahead with my trip biggrin?

It seems that everything have quieten down in the last few days (on the news). Except there are radiation contaminated food down in Tokyo area. I guess all I have to do is change some flights and I'm good to go. Opinions?

There is no reason why you should cancel your trip to Hokkaido. Radiation contaminated food in Tokyo is a bit of a stretch.....they found radiation in Milk from Fukushima (where the Nuke plant is) and in spinach in Iberaki both of which isn't Tokyo. They did however find trace amounts in the drinking water, although apparently its well within government guidleines just that previously there was zero level. If this causes you a problem then drink only bottled water

hehehehe! I think I'll stick with bottled water or tea, since they're probably a more popular option in Japan.

My plan was to head to Niseko -> Osaka -> Kyoto -> Hiroshima then Tokyo as a final stop for 3 days. I might need to change this. Suggestions?

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
If this causes you a problem then drink only bottled water

You can use your original mouth, or the new one that will appear on the back of your head!!!

OK... I rollabout

But who drinks water when they go on a ski trip to Japan?
Isn't it all sake, Sapporo's and Pocari Sweats?
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
If this causes you a problem then drink only bottled water

You can use your original mouth, or the new one that will appear on the back of your head!!!

OK... I rollabout

But who drinks water when they go on a ski trip to Japan?
Isn't it all sake, Sapporo's and Pocari Sweats?

I like your way of thinking LOL!!! confused
There is no reason why you should cancel your trip to Hokkaido. Radiation contaminated food in Tokyo is a bit of a stretch.....they found radiation in Milk from Fukushima (where the Nuke plant is) and in spinach in Iberaki both of which isn't Tokyo. They did however find trace amounts in the drinking water, although apparently its well within government guidleines just that previously there was zero level. If this causes you a problem then drink only bottled water

I heard some British expert, from a Japanese University I think, going on about this. Radiation found in spinach, milk and water, here here and here.

Ended up with "the levels detected would have no effect on humans at all."

rolleyes

Presumably, "some" is more than "none".

And then if it increases again, then it is "more".

I find some peoples thoughts on this quite interesting.

I don't think there's many people right now who would actually CHOOSE to visit Japan rather than some other place to ski. If they were pondering where to go.

Whether it's 'rational' or not.

OK I talked with 20 people at work today.

Ranging from investment bankers to secretaries

Asked them if they would want to go Japan right now or in the near future.

Even to a part of Japan that isn't directly affected:

Yes - 1

No, you must be absolutely **** kidding* - 17

Not sure, but whatever I think somewhere else is a better choice right now - 2

* Reasons:

- not mad keen on the idea of earthquakes;

- concern about the nuclear situation and what happens from now;

- 'it just don't feel right'.

So there you go.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ

People are saying here in NZ that the nuclear power plant explosion is the worst industrial disaster ever (Remember that NZers are hugely against nuclear power for the most part) which seems a little quick to jump to conclusions.

That's a disgraceful thing to say. Bhopal....

Its not even Japan's worst industrial disaster. I guess that would be Minamata or one of the mining accidents.

Well I must be part of the group that 5% of all London Bankers and Secretaries are part of. I would go to Hokkaido to ski. Distance, price, uncrowdedness, snow quality, familiarity and friends already there would make it more attractive that other destinations. Have to go this week or next though or chances of new snow are getting a bit slim.

The snow is great at the moment. More forecast all week, and more importantly cold temps.

Not unusual to have powder days throughout April, just the sun bakes the freshly fallen quite quickly on southern facing aspects and down low.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
Have to go this week or next though or chances of new snow are getting a bit slim.

We just had a dump last night through till about 10am here in Nozawa. I'm off to hit it now.

Considering how few people were on the hill this bank holiday Monday, I'll be outraged if I bump into more than 2 punters today.

This season just keeps getting better and better!
I would go to Hokkaido to ski..... familiarity and friends already there

Yes, there you go, here is a very interesting point.

You know the place.
You have friends there.
You have links to Japan.

The people I asked do not have any of those.

That's a very important difference, I would guess.
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
I would go to Hokkaido to ski..... familiarity and friends already there

Yes, there you go, here is a very interesting point.

You know the place.
You have friends there.
You have links to Japan.

The people I asked do not have any of those.

That's a very important difference, I would guess.

It is.
And understanding the distance and locations of places too.
I had some women asking me questions today about how badly effected the 'place we go' is, and how far away it is from the radiation etc etc. They don't really have the concept. We already have a frame of reference and friends still in Japan to give us the good oil rather than the media beat up.

I note that Niseko Village will be closing from 5 April onwards. Does anyone know what impact this will have on Grand Hirafu and Annapuri ?

Is there anyone in Niseko at the moment ? Are restaurants still open or are things shutting down early this year ?